We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ghost town??

Blackshear, Georgia
Level Contributor
170 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ghost town??

Friends just got back from Gatlinburg and said it looked like a host town. Nobody hardly there.

Also others said they had trouble finding gas.

I'm just reporting what they said.

I was hoping to go soon but don't know if its worth the risk.

Blackshear, Georgia
Level Contributor
170 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ghost town??

Thats funny. I meant to type GHOST town and instead said host. Maybe thats a good sign huh???

Greenwood, Indiana
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ghost town??

I had been watching the web-cam on the Parkway (mountainchalets.com/Gatlinburg/Webcam.aspx) this past weekend, and it looked fairly crowded particularly on Saturday. Other times it has looked moderate, but not overly crowded as it had been 5 or 6 years ago. As far as fuel availability, there have been several postings in this forum indicating that in the area there was fuel, and pricing was reported (by Steve and Carolyn) to be what I have noticed around where I live.

Blackshear, Georgia
Level Contributor
170 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ghost town??

I tend to think what these people saw were just what happens when you have a declining economy like we have right now. I imagine the weekends are still fairly good but I still can remember when it used to be so crowded you couldn't find a room.

Charleston
Level Contributor
222 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ghost town??

Yep.. the bad part of a bad economy is obviously less business/money trading hands.. the good part is more competition for the business.. meaning possible deals if we look hard.

Raymond

Oneonta, Alabama
Level Contributor
942 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ghost town??

As we drove through Gatlinburg Saturday morning around 10:30 on our way to Metcalf Bottoms, there was a long line at Pancake Pantry and traffic was fairly thick. We drove back through Saturday afternoon and the streets had a good bit of people walking around then too. It was a little more crowded than I expected.

On Sunday, we drove to Lowe's in Sevierville around lunchtime and there wasn't a back up of traffic leaving Gatlinburg or Sevierville.

Sunday night we went back and walked around Gatlinburg. The crowds were much lighter by then. There didn't seem to be a wait at any restaurants except Bubba Gumps. We ate at McCutchen's Lantern Restaurant (formerly the Brass Lantern) around 8:30 PM and there were only about 4 or 5 tables occupied in the restaurant.

I think September is one of the slower months of the year as far as crowds, but this whole summer and fall have seen drops in tourism. I hate it for the local economy and we'll probably see some businesses go out, but the smaller crowds were nice to deal with as a traveler.

Lisa

Gulf Shores, AL
Level Contributor
163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ghost town??

I was up there this weekend and was surprised at the number of people there.

As far as gas is concerned, I didn't see there to be any problems. In fact, when we needed gas we shopped for the best price. Krogers in Sevierville won, based on their posted price. Then we found out if you spent $100 in groceries in the month of September (which is easy to do in one trip!) and used your Kroger card (free) you got 10-cents off a gallon.

The posted prices of gas, for regular, ranged from $3.49 to $3.69. Cheaper than in other areas which is surprising.

Blackshear, Georgia
Level Contributor
170 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ghost town??

I think it'll pick up in October. At least I hope so.

That being said. The DH and I were planning either a trip in October or at Thanksgiving but due to the economy??? and also the shortage of gas in the South we might not make it.

I saw on the tele tonight where Atlanta is experiencing the shortages and long lines. Down where we are from it hasn't been a problem but ya never know what to expect when you actually hit the roads.

Seymour, Tennessee
Level Contributor
300 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ghost town??

A few of a posters are right, it is the economy. The weekends are very busy.But sometimes if you go through the week it can be a ghost town. Alot of shops that have been there for years are leaving. A few of the owners I talked to said as soon as their lease was up, they weren't renewing it, and they were moving out of town. They said the city commissioners have no clue how to run a town. They don't know what the heck they are doing? As long as this city stays the same, there never will be change.There won't be room for growth or prosperity. There won't be anymore unique little shops. There may not be any shops for that matter if it keeps going the way it is. They better do something quick! Of course, this is one opinion of a buisness owner who has had a buisness there since the 80's. He' seen the town grow. So, draw your own conclusions.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ghost town??

We were just in the area (Thursday, October 9th thru Sunday, October 12th) and it is more a nightmare than a ghost town. The traffic was horrible, as were the drivers who honked at us for not running red lights. We went into Gatlinburg the first day for our daughter's birthday and had a very nice lunch at Hard Rock (her choice). Went back yesterday to do Roaring Fork, which is always beautiful, but almost not worth getting back on the parkway and inching your way back into the park.

Definitely not a ghost town, although that would have been more welcome. In fact, we came in thru Pigeon Forge this trip and I could not belive how many people were there and in Gatlinburg on a Thursday afternoon in October. Don't get me wrong-I am very glad to see tourism thriving and I know there are so many people who appreciate that environment. We prefer it a bit quieter, and perhaps got a bit spoiled on our early June 2007 trip.

Alabama
Level Contributor
147 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ghost town??

We are here now and I have run over 3 people with my stroller. (oops) In other words..it is crowded here. People everywhere and waits at all the restaurants. We waited 1hr and 15 minutes at the Pancake Pantry this morning. (Worth it though!!!)