We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fun for 4 kids and 2 couples-please HELP

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nmz
Cincinnati
Level Contributor
118 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
fun for 4 kids and 2 couples-please HELP

Hello-

We will be heading to Gatlinburg next weekend staying at "Cabins of the Smokey Mt" (easy livin cabin) with 2 couples and 4 kids (ages 2, 3, 4, 7). We are looking for fun suggestions for activities, halloween things, unique restaurants, any don't miss things. This is the first visit for both families, so we are pretty clueless. THANKS

Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fun for 4 kids and 2 couples-please HELP

Dollywood, hiking or picnicing in the park, putt putt golf, Old McDonalds Golf has the little golf clubs for the little guys. The whole area is decorated for the fall season

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fun for 4 kids and 2 couples-please HELP

Checking out the national park is a must. Not only is it one of the most notable national parks in the United States, it has also been recognized by the international community as a "international biosphere reserve" due to its extraordinary biological diversity. There are many activities to pursue in the park, most two most prominent being hiking and driving on the scenic roads. Some of my most favourite hikes in the whole park are easily accessible from Gatlinburg.

Kristian

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fun for 4 kids and 2 couples-please HELP

You guys are just going to fall in LOVE with the area! It's so much fun and there are tons of things to do.

Some activities that may be of interest to your group (given the ages of the kids) are Dollywood, mini golf, some of the shorter nature trails, the aquarium, maybe a drive through Cades Cove.

Dollywood is having the Harvest Festival this month so that's definitely worth checking out. And there are a lot of kiddie rides too, so that will keep the kids entertained!

There are hay rides in Cades Cove which may be something you'd be interested in doing. Even if you don't do the hay ride, Cades Cove is a really nice area to spend a couple of hours. I'm not sure how much fun it would be for the kids unless there happens to be a lot of wildlife out that day, but I'm sure the adults would enjoy it!

Some of our favorite restaurants include the Old Mill, the Apple Barn, the Mountain Lodge out on 321 (it looks like a total hole in the wall but it's delish), Calhouns and the Smoky Mountain Brewery.

If you'd like more information on activities in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, the websites are as follows: www.gatlinburg.com and www.mypigeonforge.com . Hope you guys have a fabulous time in the mountains!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fun for 4 kids and 2 couples-please HELP

Some good walks to consider include the Gatlinburg trail, Cove Hardwood Nature Trail, trail to Cataract Falls from Sugarlands Nature Center, the Little River Trail, or any of the short nature trails or quiet walkways. Here's a wiki written by members of the forum with lots of good options:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g143031-c76910/Great-…

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fun for 4 kids and 2 couples-please HELP

Blue......Thanks for the link to the site for the hikes. I hadn't seen that before. I am actually going to print it out and put it in my trip binder for future use.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,491 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fun for 4 kids and 2 couples-please HELP

I'm guessing with 4 kids and high gas prices, you'll be on a budget.

Spend time in the national park!! It's got wonderful programs, and most are free. Exploring on your own is also free and it's a beautiful time to be there.

Sevierville...
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: fun for 4 kids and 2 couples-please HELP

I am wondering how long you will be there. We just got back and I must say I did not want to come home to hot, ugly Florida. The weather was absolutely perfect when we were there last week. There is a cheap hayride going on in Gatlinburg that we saw-seemed the young children were really enjoying it. And there is not actual hay on it in case of allergies. I would do it when it is dark to see the pretty lights if the children can stay awake that long. The fall decor is everywhere and so neat. In Florida, if we put out pumpkins they quickly rot so I loved all the fall decor. Dollywood is great-we have been going for years.They have some areas just for the little ones. And the shows are so good.

We absolutely love Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail and it is right off lite #8 in Gatlinburg. When you come to Noah "Bud" Ogles house, make sure you take the nature trail which leads you to the river and the old mill. It is so pretty and an easy nature walk for you with the little ones. We go there every time we are there. The water levels are really low now due to the draught so that was very sad to us but is still pretty. I would definitely recommend that you go to a visitors center when you get there since you have not been before. It can get overwhelming. We have been going for 19 years now and just found some things we hadn't done before. For sure you need to get into the park and do nature walks and picnics by a river are great. There is an overwhelming number of tourist things in both Gatlinburg and pigeon Forge and you can do some of those things if you want to spend the money but seeing the beauty that God has created there is why we go back year after year and hopefully get to move there for good soon. Enjoy-you will have a great time whatever you decide to do.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fun for 4 kids and 2 couples-please HELP

There is alot to keep the kids busy especially in pigeon forge like: Old macdonalds putt-putt, go-carts, Dollywood. Maybe you could do a show one night the comedy barn will keep everyone laughing for about 2 hours. I would recommend country tonite too.

Restaurants: Pancake pantry, Apple Barn, Calhouns for ribs, Alamo steak house

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,409 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: fun for 4 kids and 2 couples-please HELP

Since you're from Cinci, and Kings Island is at your doorstep, I'd say forget about Dollywood. And depending on if you go to the Newport Aquarium (or have been there), I may say forget about the aquarium down there as well (but it is very cool, on par with Newport, longer tunnel system though). Definately mini-golf, maybe something like wonderworks in PF? But going into the National Park is a must. Easy things to do with the kids like the hikes to Grotto or Laurel falls, Cades Cove, Roaring Fork (driving trails), picnic at Greenbrier or chimneys. hay ride in cades cove.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: fun for 4 kids and 2 couples-please HELP

Carol - being from Florida myself...I have to agree about the weather here! I cannot wait to leave for the fall colors and cool weather in 2 1/2 weeks!

To the original poster...

There is nothing like the Smokies. How exciting to be going on a first trip there! You will love it and I bet it becomes a family tradition.

Don't miss the park...Cades Cove, the chimneys, roaring fork...too many things to list. The park is THE reason for going!