We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cades Cove?

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Clinton, MS
Level Contributor
837 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cades Cove?

Where in cades cove should we have a picnic? Find a spot and pull out the old blanket or should we stop somewhere designated?? And where if designated?

Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cades Cove?

There is a picnic area right before you enter Cades Cove, bathroom, grills, picnic tables available.It can be full during week-ends and busy times. We have also just pulled over during the Cades Cove tour, pulled down the tailgate on our truck and used that as our table and just stood around and ate. It just depends what you want.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,736 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cades Cove?

My favorite picnic spot is on Sparks Lane where Abrams Creek crosses over the road. There's a pull-over area and some nice shady spots right next to the creek...if someone hasn't already beat you to it.

You are far enough off the loop road to not hear traffic and the soothing sounds of the creek are very relaxing.

Linden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
298 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cades Cove?

When we were there last week we saw several people in the little pull-offs all through the loop.Some were just using the tail gate of their truck. Some had their chairs and just sat there having their meal.

Seymour, Tennessee
Level Contributor
300 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cades Cove?

Used to you could go right out into a field with a blanket and they won't say anything.As far as I know there isn't a certain area that is designated. If there are bears out and about I would of course be real cautious about going out into the field. You shouldn't really have any trouble though.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
884 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cades Cove?

Kats, you know that is one of my favorite spots too! We were there in August and about halfway between the loop and the creek we had to stop for a large coyote to cross. We watched it circle some deer for several minutes before moving on. Later when arrived at Cable Mill at dusk there was a woman walking a small dog along the edge of the field next to the bathrooms and about 20-30 yds behind her was another coyote following along watching her. I was afraid it was going to try and get the dog and told dh to pull up there so I could warn her that it was out there but as we slowed she turned and started for her car oblivious to the coyote. We never used to see them in the cove but we have seen them more and more each time we visit.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,736 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cades Cove?

Yes, the coyote pack is slowly growing in the area. I spotted my first one there several years ago in Cades Cove on the road leading to the Primative Baptist Church off the loop.

Charleston
Level Contributor
222 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cades Cove?

I've seen several people walk out in the fields and set up a picnic right there. Looks like a great idea. I don't know if my wife would buy that though, lol.

Raymond

8. Re: Cades Cove?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 02:16