We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaf Question

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Topic
Leaf Question

Okay all you locals out there.....

It looks like we are going to have to delay our trip by two weeks. According to the foliage network, color is starting to get into high color with the next step peak color. My question in this...how long does it take to progress from high to peak? How long will peak last? How fast will color taper off? How long will we be able see fall?

I guess that is more than one question.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,924 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaf Question

Considering the cold temps the higher elevations have been having the last few nights, and that will continue this week, I'm guessing peak colors, once reached, won't last all that long.

There's been freezes and frost up there the last few nights.

In the lower elevations, color will be around probably into November, but I would imagine higher elevations will see the colors going away by Halloween.

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaf Question

mamabear:

Color is quickly moving, but peak is not here yet. We are expected to get 1 to 3 inches of rain Friday through Saturday. Rain and wind are the enemy of the leaves staying on trees. The key to how long fall lasts once it starts is wind and rain. Temps next week in the valleys will be in the mid 20s. This will help the fall colors progress in the vallies. Right now there are mountain sides that are almost completely green. The mountain I live on is not near peak. The poplars are turned, maples are turning, locusts turned earlier. We still have plenty of green foilage around the NC side of the Smoky mountains. The good thing about the mountains is usually you can fall somewhere around here be it up high or down in the valleys....

Have a good trip.

sevierville TN
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaf Question

SmokyBob got it right on. Lots of green here yet, but I noticed highest elevations are lots of reds.

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaf Question

Grass:

I tend to think this fall is shapping up to be a lot like last years. I suspect the oaks will again be vibrant as they were last year based on the similar weather patterns with the drought. We were enjoying "fall" past Thanksgiving and this year is shaping up a lot like that. I need to dust off the camera, lace up my hiking boots next week and get out. As you know the glamor of owning your business it gets tough sometimes to slow down enough to enjoy the reasons why we moved here (lol)...

5. Re: Leaf Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 13:16