We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite things of Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge that are now gone

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite things of Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge that are now gone

I know this topic has been brought up many times, but I thought starting it again would allow newer posters to put in their 2 cents.

What attraction, restaurant etc do you remember in the area that is now gone?

I will start it out....

The Little Brown Jug restaurant. Circa the 1960's

I forget exactly where on the GB Parkway it was.

Al Hirts restaurant, on Airport Rd. I think it is now the Mexican place.....Does anyone know the name of the restaurant that occupied this location either before Al Hirts or after it? I think I remember it, but not sure.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
884 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite things of Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge that are now gone

Ok here is another one without a name, it used to be where the Peddler is now. It was a restaurant and they had live bands and a dance floor. It was the first place my future dh took me to in the smokies. we came up for rod run in August or Sept. 1989, there were absolutely NO VACANCIES anywhere close to PF or GB, it took us 4.5 hours to get from I-40 to PF. Talk about a traffic nightmare! We ended up in Gatlinburg and danced and drank the night away at this place and then drove all the way back home at 3AM. We were young and all that driving didn't bother us back then. 20 years later, 2 kids, and many trips later and I cannot for the life of me remember the name but I remember the night well!

USA
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite things of Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge that are now gone

Lyons Bakery.

Mountain View Hotel.

(After Al Hirts, it became a Burger King. G-burgs's 1st fast food place!)

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite things of Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge that are now gone

Middle aged man,

Good to hear from you.

There was a restaurant called "Lums" I think. Was it in the same building as Al Hirts?

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite things of Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge that are now gone

We really liked Jessie Steakhouse and Saloon on Airport Rd. They had really good food. They also had a train that ran around the top of the room that my small child loved at the time.

Houma, Louisiana
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite things of Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge that are now gone

Farmer's Daughter. It was our tradition to eat breakfast here on our way out of town. We havn't really found a place to replace it....

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite things of Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge that are now gone

I'm pretty sure that Lum's was in that general area on Airport Road. Lum's claim to fame was that they cooked their hot dogs in beer. They used to be all over central Ohio.

Also, in that general area was Rebel Corner. We used to shop and hang out on that corner as kids. Rebel Corner was lost in a fire. I'm not sure if it was the 80s or 90s.

USA
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite things of Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge that are now gone

No. Lums (a chain which was founded and run by a Gatlinburg resident Jack Case) was just up the road from the Al Hirts building. Pretty much next door, but not the same building.

Jack also founded the Olly's Trolley Chain. I think the last of those was here in Arlington Virginia and closed a few years ago.

USA
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite things of Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge that are now gone

I miss the old corner of Airport Road and Baskin's Creek, when the 1st Baptist Church was on one corner, with the Village Center (pharmacy, dining counter and general store) next to it. Beside that was Dr. Shilling's "hospital".

Accross the street was Ogles Store, a grocery that was torn down to build the Mountain Mall. When they tore it down, they found the original store (a log cabin dating back to sometime in the 1800's) inside the walls. The later store had been built over it and incorporated it.

Back then, Gatlinburg was a real town, where locals went to shop and meet and go to church. Now, the real "town" of Gatlinburg has moved east out Highway 321. About the only thing left "downtown" is Pi Beta Phi school, which is soon to be gone.

BTW, the old Pi Phi School, torn down around 1971 was a beautiful mix of three buildings. An old building (the "high school" by Baskin's Creek Road made of round river stones, a white two-story Victorian building that sat in the middle of the property and two new "brick buildings" housing classrooms and the gym/lunch room. The latter have been incorporated into the present school building.

If you go on the school property, you can see a huge towering tree. If you go there, you will see the root structure is polished smooth from decades of school kids sitting on it.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Favorite things of Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge that are now gone

MAM,

That is so interesting....sorry to call you mam.

FYI, If you go in Blaines Bar and Grill, they have several framed Newspaper articles on when the Rebel Corner and Ripley's burned.

Ohio
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Favorite things of Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge that are now gone

I miss: the Cliff Dwellers being downtown, Howard's on the Patio, which was more towards Fannie Farkles, and The Wishing Well store, which was across from the Village. There was a Pasquales Pizza downtown, too. We were allowed as teenagers in the 70's to run around town (a little) and get pizza at Pasquales. Man, we were cool!

Sometimes we would stay at Cooper's Court which was right where the Fudgery is on the Parkway.

This is just a little of what I miss.

Melinda