We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

if you come during the winter.................

sevierville TN
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Topic
if you come during the winter.................

This past Monday we got quite a bit of snow in the area. A couple of friends of mine that are in cabin rental company management said that people were stuck in their cabins because the roads were so slick. We couldn't leave the house till Wed. either. Just a reminder that if they are calling for snow, make sure you have plenty of food just in case. I know that some people ended up walking several miles because they were out of food in their cabin. When things get to slick, even the plows and salt trucks can't get around so everyone has to wait it out. Even now I know there are roads that are very slick still and people are not able to get around some areas.

Rincon Georgia
Level Contributor
828 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: if you come during the winter.................

I wonder if you get snowed in and can't leave on your check out date if you have to pay for an additional night since the weather is beyond your control.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,771 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: if you come during the winter.................

WOW, that's something to think about. It's one thing to get snowed in at home, but it's something else to get stuck where you have nothing. If the word snow is even in our forcast here everyone heads to the grocery store.

Evansville, IN
Level Contributor
271 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: if you come during the winter.................

Here snow equals long lines at the store. Everyone heads out to get bread and milk. Personally I have so much in my cabinets and freezer I probably could sustain for a couple of weeks without going out. That is if I have enough bread and milk.LOL

GOod question though what do they do if you can't get out of the cabin. What if someone can't afford to pay another night rental? Personally I would love to be snowed in for a couple of days with my b/f. Would be some great memories.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: if you come during the winter.................

I think each rental company has their own policy concerning being snowed-in. That's a good question to ask before you rent.

Clinton, MS
Level Contributor
837 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: if you come during the winter.................

This is something I never think to ask. But now I will if I travel during the winter months. I have never been snowed in or been in icy conditions in a cabin but man it would be awesome. I THINK! Just make sure ya have some food!

Clinton, MS
Level Contributor
837 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: if you come during the winter.................

I checked with the rental company we are using for our next trip in October and November and this is what their policy said on the website: Each company is different so check if you are traveling in the winter months and even early spring!

Elkspringresort.com

INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY

Please be aware of the possible weather and road conditions you may encounter, depending on what time of year you are traveling, as we do not offer refunds due to weather or early departure. From late November through early April the weather in the Smoky Mountains can be very unpredictable. To assist you in planning, there is a link on our Weather Page to provide you with the current weather and temperature for Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg & The Great Smoky Mountains National Park. This page will also provide phone numbers for weather related road conditions and or closures.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
581 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: if you come during the winter.................

Many of the cabin groupings keep their roads deiced every morning to allow for necessary traffic. Checking each companie's policy is a must. The gated community such as Cobbly Nob is an example. There are others that do the same.

Carol/LA

Seymour, Tennessee
Level Contributor
300 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: if you come during the winter.................

I understand these places are in it to make money and you do have to have certain policies and regulations, but what if they weren't calling for bad weather and all of a sudden you get hit with an ice storm. I remember a few years ago that actually happened. With this weather, you never know what's going to happen.Also when renting a cabin in a secluded area, food is not only important, but batteries for flashlights and radios are necessary too.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: if you come during the winter.................

I'm a cabin owner. I rent by owner. Someone asked if they'd be charged if they couldn't get out of the cabin due to snow. I can't speak for everyone, but I wouldn't charge for it, but there'd have to be a real reason for not being able to check out. As a matter of fact, I called my guests who were due to check out this past Monday to tell them just to stay if they hadn't left already because my cleaning company told me how bad the roads were. Fortunately, the guests had already left. I want my guests safe first. That's the priority.

Cindy

sevierville TN
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: if you come during the winter.................

I know that quite a few of the rental companies do not charge if you cannot get out on the checkout date from what I understand. Resorts usually have plowing done because the HOA covers that. It is more along the rural cabins. As icy as it was this week, I don't know if any truck even with chains could have safely gotten around to salt the roads. I do know that in one instance, a renter tried to get out and started up the hill and ended up sliding backwards into another car at the same cabin. That would be a bad deal. I have often thought about buying a blade and salter, but when I see some of these drop offs along the roads, I scares me to much to go ahead and do this. Think I'll just stay home.