We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Cabin Addresses

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
12 posts
Save Topic
Rental Cabin Addresses

Why do most rental comps have the policy of not giving out the address until check in? I was just curious and wanted to map out my end point before i arrive to the cabin.

Ocean Springs...
Level Contributor
122 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Cabin Addresses

It is just a policy for the safety of current renters at the cabins. Often, most companies will give you an address upon deposit.

ohio
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Cabin Addresses

Well i can understand that. The one i have currently rented will not give me the address until we check in.We have already given a $500 deposit. There rental office is before you get into Gatlinburg but i am not super familiar with the area to begin with. So stopping and getting the keys and all that then trying to find the cabin hopefully will not be too much of a process.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Cabin Addresses

Bradalucas,

You could post the name and company of your cabin and maybe some one on here has stayed there and could let you know the location.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Cabin Addresses

There were break-ins occurring at vacant cabins. People would look on the calendar to see when cabins were not occupied and break in. I think the flat screen TVs were the main target. That is why the companies will no longer give out addresses easily.

ohio
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Cabin Addresses

Bears Den rented by http://www.majesticmountainvacations.com/

I would be happy with just an aprox area really. Since being unfamiliar with the area i just wanted to do some pre-planning.

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Cabin Addresses

As cabin owner with nice amenities in our places the reasons above regardign security are one reason for not giving addresses out.

There is the privacy of the guest who stay with us which is equally important for many cabin owners and companies.

The third issue is the reliability of mapping software, internet sources like Map Quest and GPS systems in rural areas is less than stellar. Many of our places for instance are on private roads. Giving an address in this day and age of the car GPS provides a false sense of exactness. Too many systems are not reliable and personally we have had guests get lost using their GPS systems. We have 2 Garmin units and a built in JBL nav system in our 2008 4 Runner. None of them can accurately locate my own home here in Sylva and none of them accurately located any of our cabins.

So to avoid frustration on the guest's part, to respect the privacy of our guests and to monitor who is coming and going the best we can, we do not give out the address prior to the home reservation being confirmed.

I can only speak as to why I don't do this, but I suspect many other owners and companies will tell you something similar.

Bob

North Carolina
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Cabin Addresses

Also, rental companies give you a map to locate your cabin upon check in. Why take the fun out of winding along a narrow mountain road in the middle of the night trying to find a cabin?

8. Re: Rental Cabin Addresses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 14:20