We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Day 1

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Day 1

I also posted this in Pigeon Forge Forum as I am visitng both areas.

Well I arrived in town at about 1pm today. The weather was beautiful..about 68 and partly sunny. I stopped at a few shops for my Black Bear shopping. Very sad of course to not have 3 Bears open. Went across the street instead to Angel's Dolls & Gifts..great cheap black bear stuff! Yay..Bought a few things..got a great deal on a large Welcome bear for the porch..on sale from $29. Went into Lil' Dolly to look for a new quilt. found one on the clearance 'beds' for 1/2 off. So queen size quilt new cost $45..not bad..but didn't buy one today..will wait and see just how much I spend the rest of the week!

Drove up to "On Higher Ground" area to check out a cabin location for another TA poster...good location but many of the cabins in this area appear to be on very steep driveways..some views were awesome..some are good but amongst tree tops. Also drove to "Serenity Cove North" area to check out the cabin I'll be staying at this upcoming weekend with the rest of the girls. Great area..great views..very excited about our choice! Will attach a link to pics once I get them posted to webshots

While on way to Serenity Cove area..I passed Ponderosa stables and there walking across the road was a peacock! really very pretty....so yeah I had to wait a few minutes to continue on..lol

Then went over to Arts & Crafts community to see Apple Annie. She makes amazing stuffed animals from antique quilts..andf I had to bring her my grandmother's tattered quilt. She is going to turn it into some great stuffed cats and bears so that i can share the quilt with my family. This was the quilt my grandmother used every day while she was battling cancer..so it has a lot of meaning to us and what a great way to keep it other than folded up somewhere!

Then I finally got to The Hampton Inn in Gatlinburg. Hotel room is very clean..and in a good spot...but my room doesn't have a good view at all..pretty much parking lot front and back side..but oh well! So next time I'll ask for a creekside room! The room is quite a bit smaller then most Hampton rooms..but not bad. I had asked for a fridge to be put in my room due to medication that needs refridgerated but it wasn't here upon arrival. After calling the front desk it was brought to my room within 10 minutes.

Changed clothes, walked the Parkway..stopped in at Maple Tree for yet more black bear stuff! Then went to The Village for Coffee! Yum..Caramel Machiatto!

Came back to room freshened up a bit and went to TGI Fridays for an appetizer and a drink. I had a coupon for .01 cent appetizer with purchase of a drink at the bar....good deal. Had a margarita and the Quesdaillas..very good. Locals saw me looking at area brochures and such and started to recommend things to do. Too bad I am alone as the 'Hummer' off road tour sounds like so much fun! And I am tempted to try trout fishing while I am here..but depends on licensing regulations and costs...hmmm.

Well I am bored sitting in my room so I am off to Pucker's for an hour or so to listen to other people sing karaoke...not me though..can't sing at all!

Tomorrow I will head either to Cades Cove or Cherokee..not sure yet.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Day 1

Hi deputy836,

Sounds great, so far. I always like going by myself because I could go to "either Cades Cove or Cherokee" OR neither. LOL! I remember your posts from the past about your grandmother's quilt. I think that's a GREAT idea!

Looking forward to reading what you do Tuesday. Have Fun!

Bob

Germantown...
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Day 1

WOW you gotta be wore out by now. What a busy day youve had.im glad your having fun.Enjoy your day on Tuesday.

Cindy

Charleston
Level Contributor
222 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Day 1

Sounds like a great day, especially since you didn't even get to town until 1. I can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip.

Raymond

http://gosmoky.wordpress.com

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Day 1

We stayed at that Hampton on our first trip to the area. Nice folks and pretty decent free breakfast.

I'd ask them if a creekside room was opening up at some point during your stay. It's really nice to listen to the sounds of that creek while sitting on the balcony reading, or just relaxing. Especially when there's not a lot of foot traffic next to the Tram.

My wife will be interested to hear about the quilt conversion. Great way to share, and there's no using them when they become worn out.

Looking forward to your next installment :-)

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
860 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Day 1

I am so envious of you. Sounds like you are really enjoying yourself. Can't wait to read more.

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Day 1

Thanks everyone! Dawgcentral..as for the quilt conversion, I do have some pics of the stuffed quilted bear I bought ftom her last year...My gram's quilt will be made into 1 bear and 3 jointed cats, as she loved kitties. here is a pic or two of that bear...

…webshots.com/photo/2139976560100725175qPpcHM

Also here are pics from this trip so far on Webshots

community.webshots.com/album/570660560yHJBSk

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Day 1

Thanks for the TR, Deputy!

And thanks for the pix! I always like to see street views that other people take and then figure out exaclty where they were when they took them. Weird, I know, but it's fun to me!

Looking forward to the next installment.

greenville sc
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Day 1

Have a great time. How are the crowds there? Also, kudos for being able to go on a trip by yourself as well.

Germantown...
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Day 1

Great Pictures..

I love looking at other peoples photos.They always get the shot you missed.

Please take a pic. for me of RML

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report Day 1

Nice pictures....can't wait to see more. Wow...some of those roads by the cabins looked really steep and scary for this flatlander! LOL Now I know why I stay in hotels on the parkway. One neat thing is that in the pictures of the cabins to the right of the sky lift is the grey cabin that I wanted to stay in sometime or at least I pretty sure that was it. You can't see it during the summer when the trees are green but it's got a nice city view. I'm sure I would be too scared to drive up to it though. Thanks for posting them and I really hope you have a great time.