We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am a crazy maniac! :)

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
228 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
I am a crazy maniac! :)

As if I wouldn't have been going out of my mind with excitement that we're going to be leaving for TN in TWO DAYS anyway, now it looks like the local forecasts are starting to call for some snow flurries on Mon/Tues!!!! I literally can't sit still with anticipation.

We're native Floridians and my kids have never seen snow, not to even mention that I have NEVER, EVER seen it either!! :) I don't even know how I'll be able to sleep.

Most normal people would be a little bummed that the weather is looking pretty rotten - cold, rainy, snowy, but I am grinning like a fool! I hope the forecast doesn't change too much.

OK, off to obsessively write lists of things to do, places to see, and things to pack. I'm so much fun to travel with.

taylorsmommi
Level Contributor
663 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I am a crazy maniac! :)

If you don't get the Flurries in GB head higher (if it's cold enough), drive past the park and the higher you get, you have a better chance of seeing the snow. We live in Florida (but are native NYers and sometimes we want snow, lol...) and have a cabin in Sevierville, and as often as I go, I STILL constantly check the weather hoping for snow, HA! But we often can find it higher up if the weather is cold. The weather is supposed to go up in the 70s the following week, so you may get lucky if you are seeing that forecast! :)

Jacky

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Sevierville
Sevierville
Sevier County, TN
taylorsmommi
Level Contributor
663 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I am a crazy maniac! :)

By gosh your right! I was doubtful and I looked and it says Monday Tuesday possiblity of snow/rain... again it's iffy.... but I hope you get some flakes esp since your kids have never seen it before... go in the winter next time! The you could always take them to Ober as a last resort if all else fails!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
228 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I am a crazy maniac! :)

If we were going to "hunt" for snow, where would we drive to that would be further north/more likely to have flurries. My husband would be willing to drive about 2 hours or so from Sevierville.

Mentioned in this post
Sevierville
Sevierville
Sevier County, TN
Tampa Bay FL
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I am a crazy maniac! :)

MommaFox,

Your post got me excited too! Our family will be going up to Pigeon Forge on Saturday and staying for a week. We went up during the Christmas holidays, but it didn't snow while we were there. I hope the forecast holds up and the kids get a chance to see snow this trip. With it in the high 80's here in Florida, the colder weather will feel great! The kids have never seen snow, so it would be fantastic if they do get a chance to see it next week. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. I hope you and your family have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Florida
Florida
United States
Chicago IL
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: I am a crazy maniac! :)

LOL--You people! We had more snow on Sunday in Illinois was hoping to drive south to get away from the snow and cold. So while the rest of you are hoping for snow I'll be hopin for high 60's and sun.

It doesn't look like I'll get it but...

Mentioned in this post
Illinois
Illinois
United States
taylorsmommi
Level Contributor
663 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I am a crazy maniac! :)

All I usually do is drive up the parkway< through GB and past the park entrance and keep driving up, you will come to a big lookout where we found snow... Can anyone help me out with the name of this place? It has a sign that says Tennessee /North Carolina and states the elevation... Then you can drive further up it is not that far... No guaruntee of snow of course, but several times when GB and PF had no snow, but it was cold enough, we drove up there and found it :)

Good luck with your "hunt!" ;)

ohio
Level Contributor
169 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: I am a crazy maniac! :)

That would be Newfound Gap. Clingmans Dome would be even higher in elevation and can make a big difference. The turn off for it is just past Newfound Gap. I am assuming that road is open.

I'm from Ohio and I would be crying buckets if they were calling for snow. LOL

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Mississippi
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: I am a crazy maniac! :)

I love, love, love to make vacation lists too! I think I'm a little OCD about lists anyway, but I love making packing lists especially.

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: I am a crazy maniac! :)

Momma Fox - two good places to see it - New Found Gap on US 441 and Socco Gap on US 19 between Cherokee and Maggie Valley in NC.

Hope it happens...as a native Floridian who is living in the Smokies, I genuinely hope it comes for you, yet I am ready for spring and warm days in 70s (lol)...it has been a cold winter.

Bob

Mentioned in this post
New Found Gap
New Found Gap
28 Reviews
Gatlinburg, TN
10. Re: I am a crazy maniac! :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 17:19