We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report 4/10-4/15

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
121 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report 4/10-4/15

Got back from our trip yesterday.... am ready to go back already! We absolutely loved it and had a fantastic time.

Day one was the drive there. We got there in the evening. Didnt do much besides go find the cabin and settle in. We rented this place and it was WONDERFUL!

cobblynob.com/little_cabin_in_the_woods.htm

Day two I got up super early to see the sunrise... too cloudy to actually see it though. It was nice to hang out on one of the porches in the peace and quiet before anyone else got up. Once everyone else was up, we went and found the Pancake Pantry (after suggestions here) and had a yummy breakfast. I has the sugar & spice pancakes, my stepdad had buckwheat, my teen had chocolate chip and my 6 year old had m&m (it came with peanut butter syrup. She did not like it but her brother did). Then we wondered around the shps in that general area. The little village of shops next door was decorated for Easter so we took pics too. We walked down the strip a bit and then went down the other side before getting heading back to the car. We stopped in the parks visitor center there and spent some time looking around at the books, maps etc. Stopped at Food City on the way back to the cabin and got groceries. Had burgers etc for dinner at the cabin that night.

Day three: Up defore dawn to go to the Easter sunrise servce at Ober Gatlingburg. Got to ride the tram up the where the services took place. This was an amazing experience and I got some AWESOME pics. Ate breakfast at Ober Gatlinburg then headed back to the cabin for a nap/relaxation. Later in the day, we went to the Smoky Mtn Stables and went on an hour hourseback ride. This was really cool. My daughter was absiltely THRILLED to be riding a horse. Afterwards, he went into the Smokies and visited the Sugarland visitors Center and also did the short hike to the waterfall nearby. Had dinner at Bennett's before headng back to the cabin. Got in the jacuzzi for a little bit too.

Day four: This as supposed to be the worst day weatherwise but it was pretty nice! We hung out at the cabin and ate breakfast before heading to the aquarium. We spent several hours there and had a very ejoyable time. Had lunch there and then headed to the Old Mill. Did some shopping at the various stores and then had dinner at the restaurant there. Yum, that was a fabulous meal! I had the grilled porkchops (only ate one of the three! they served but my son finshed them back at the cabin), my stepdad had the meatloaf, my daughter chicken and dumplings and my son had grilled shrimp.

Day five: After breakfast we headed out to the see the Arts and Crafts Loop. Spent a good chunk of time visiting many places. Had lunch at the Wild Plum (two thumbs up). When we finished with the loop, we headed back into the parks to do some more sight seeing. It was cooler and drizzly so we didnt do much hiking but rather saw a lot fromthe car and stopped several times for quick looks. Went as far as Newfoundland Gap and then back again. Headed back to the cabin to enjoy the last night and a fire in the fireplace before leaving first thing the following morning.

I took about 7164217542154 pictures. Everyone enjoyed the trip and I know we're going to be planning another trip in the future. Thanks again for all the suggestions from folks here!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
581 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report 4/10-4/15

Thanks for the trip report! I really appreciate the thumbs up on the Wild Plum. It is on oour to-do list.

Glad ya'll had a great time!

Carol/LA

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
121 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report 4/10-4/15

My teenage son wasn't as impressed with the Wild Plum as the rest of us were. But consider the source ;) Even he enjoyed the tea though.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report 4/10-4/15

Thanks for sharing with us. It sounds as though you pace your activities much like we do. If we get too caught up into trying to do and see everything, there's no time to relax, and you find yourself home again needing a vacation.

I like the looks of your cabin,..looks like someone's home if you know what I mean. How comfortable were the beds? Did everything work well? Was the kitchen well stocked with cooking items?

I also understand when you say you are ready to go back. We always feel that way,..probably why I spend so much time on here :-)

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,727 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report 4/10-4/15

Great trip report, thanks! And I wasn't even aware that Ober did a sunrise service on Easter.

LOL at 7164217542154 pictures!

Clinton, MS
Level Contributor
837 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report 4/10-4/15

Great trip report! Thanks for sharing! Ditto on the number of pics! :)

Germantown...
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report 4/10-4/15

Great trip report,Im glad to see you and your family had fun,We too had a few rainy days ,but that didnt stop us either,

Hey you took more pictures then me!!!!WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

I took over 600 on my digtal caqmera plus 6 others disposal cameras too.I love taking pictures ,I look at my pictures a couple days a day.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report 4/10-4/15

Great TR.

As a fellow Wisconsinite, how long was the drive? Any major construction projects we need to avoid? Our trip is not until the end of June, but I try to plan ahead.

Thanks

Mel

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report 4/10-4/15

Thanks for the trip report. The Tea Room will beon my to do list next visit! As for the Easter Service at Ober..how awesome that must have been?!! Sounds like a great way to spend Easter!

Rockwall, Texas
Level Contributor
88 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report 4/10-4/15

Thanks for the trip report Shellyb007! We are coming in June (first time) and have rented at cobbly nob with Greenbrier Valley Resorts too. You said the cabin was wonderful and the pictures from the website look fantastic. We have rented a 2 person cabin they have called Awesome View. How was the office? How was the location?

Thanks!!

Aurora,KY
Level Contributor
528 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report 4/10-4/15

Thanks for the great trip report and it sounds like you had a great time. I had read about the sunrise service at Ober and told my husband I bet that would be really nice. Was the food good up there? I saw the menu and it looked like it had a lot to choose from.

Linda