We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where will we buy our groceries?

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
276 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Where will we buy our groceries?

We are not going till August but I am just wondering where would be the best place for us to grocery shop. We are coming in on august 3rd. We need to get our rental car and drive on into Gatlinburg from Knoxville. We might grocery shop early the next morning but we will see. Our cabin is in the downtown area Are the prices higher because of the tourist?

Is it a good idea to get picnic items and pack picnics for the park, hiling and Cades Cove days?

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where will we buy our groceries?

spilover..As for groceries. There is a Food City in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg (near the arts and crafts community). The one in PF is smaller and not as nice as the one in G-burg. There also is a Super Wal-mart in Sevierville right before you get into PF. If you go to food City, stop at the customer service desk to get a Discount Card to use. (similar to all other cards the stores have now) tell them you are visiting and they will give you a temporary card to use.

The prices are abot average. I didn't really see a difference in grocery prices due to location. Wal-mart of course always has good prices.

There also is a Kroger in Sevierville on Winfield Dunn Pky. You will most likely pqss this store on your way into town if you take I-40 out of Knoxville to exit #407 to get into town.

There is a small grocery shop at the far end of Gatlinburg in case you forget something, although it is high priced due to location and they really do not have much, just the basics pretty much.

Hokes Bluff, AL
Level Contributor
145 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where will we buy our groceries?

There is a WalMart in Sevierville coming from Knoxville going to Gatlinburg. Also a Kroger just a block off the Parkway in Pigeon Forge, turn right at light 3 onto Wears Valley Road. There is a Food City in Gatlinburg. Turn left on 321 (I think it is at light 3 in Gatlinburg where you turn). It is about 2 miles up on the left.

Hokes Bluff, AL
Level Contributor
145 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where will we buy our groceries?

Deputy, sorry for repeating but I guess you posted while I was typing.

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where will we buy our groceries?

That's cause great minds think alike! :)

But you gave directions!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
884 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where will we buy our groceries?

As for picnics, there are several places that will pack a picnic lunch for you! Parton's Deli, Pancake Pantry, and Buckhorn Inn all do and there is also sandwiches available at Food City and the Parkway market. There is also a Subway I think on 321 and there is a KFC. I know there are others too so help me out TA friends!

I would definately pack something if you are going to be hiking or planning on being gone most of the day. There is little to be found at the visitors centers other than cold drinks and snack machines.

There is some type of concessions at the Cades Cove campground but I am not sure what all they have othere than they used to have great ice cream.

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
824 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where will we buy our groceries?

just got back and we always bring staples and pick up perishables and our meat from food city on 321 in Gatlinburg (the post office is right across the street if you need to mail anything)

They carry beer--for wine there is a liquor store in the same complex.

The fruit was great--as was the corn--trout--and steaks we got! We get salad fixins and buy the dressings in Gatlinberg...Mountain Mall has a fun place to buy hot sauces and dressings...

I keep my discount card and use it every year...we get lunch meat and salads at the deli and pack a picnic always....chimneys has a great spot...as does the Greenbrier side (although the road is gravel and VERY narrow in spots....there is also a great spot on the way to cades cove (the name escapes me.

I thought the prices were a bit higher but not like eating out all week!!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where will we buy our groceries?

Hi spilover,

Food City is very convenient when in Gatlinburg, as many have alread said. If you decide to shop there, you can apply online for their ValuCard, and even print it out if the real one doesn't arive in time. I signed up for it about a month ago and have never received spam or ads. I think you can check the box if you do want to get e-mails and ads from them. I chose not. www.foodcity.com/valucard.php

Bob

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where will we buy our groceries?

When we shopped at the Food City last week, I did not have a value card. First stop inside the store was at the main desk. Just ask for a guest card and they will have you fill out a little form. Get your groceries and hand the form in to the check out clerk. He/she will then take off any discounts.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
884 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where will we buy our groceries?

flizzer: I think you are talking about Metcalf Bottoms picnic area

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where will we buy our groceries?

smokymtns..Bob, thanks for the info on being able to get a card 0n-line. I did not tknow that was an option. I have friends that are traveling to the area this summer, I will make sure to tell them to get one on-line before they go. Thanks!