We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sky Harbor area question

Glen Carbon IL
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Sky Harbor area question

Will I be hitting alot of stoplights if I stay in this area or is there an easy way out to get to Cades Cove, Roaring Fork, and Blue Ridge Parkway? Same question about the Chalet Village area.

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sky Harbor area question

Hi laurasmom! The Sky Harbor area is right in between both towns. You can get to it when you leave Pigeon Forge..youtravel on The Spur and turn left at King Branch Rd. So yes, in answer to your question, being in between both areas will make for a lot of lights to get thru the towns. Although you can access the Gatlinburg Bypass on the right side of the spur (near the Welcome Center) and that will take you straight to the entrance to the Park. So that will give you easy access to Cades Cove.

Depedning on where you want to catch the Blue Ridge Pky will determine what your drive would be like. You can catch it by taking Newfound Gap Rd through the Smokies to Cherokee. Before you get into Cherokee you will see the entrance to BRP. I believe you can also take 321 East to get ot I-40 and catch the Pky from I-40 near Ashville.

As for Roaring Fork, you will have to go into Gatlinburg to access this road. If you go during the morning, you should not have any problems with traffic.

Of course you can always park at the GSM Welcome center on the spur and take the Trolley into town for shopping and eating on the Parkway.

I'm sure someone will have better information regarding the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sky Harbor area question

Deputy is correct about the Blueridge Parkway. You can get on it from Cherokee or I40 east of Ashville. You can also get to it 26 at Ashville. I would take 441 through the park to the Blueridge. It is about an hour drive if you do not stop to site see but you will find plenty of stuff to see on the trip across.

I stayed in that area last summer and you do have a lot of lights but it's not that bad. You can always take the bypass. I found the location to be good since it was between the two towns.

John

taylorsmommi
Level Contributor
663 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sky Harbor area question

Yes the bypass is a good way to avoid all the lights,depending on when you come traffic may be more of the issue. But it is centrally located, just ask about the road that your cabin is on! I rented the most gorgeous cabin over there and had to be moved because it was literally in a hole! I CLLIIIIMMMMBBBEEEDD up a gravel road to get to it, then STRAIGHT down to the edge of the mountain and there sat this house ,lol. Handyman told us if it rained we would never get out! well, ps . it rained so they moved us. There are a lot of nice cabins in there though, just letting you know ;)

It is pretty close to the bypass too, so it sounds like a plan!

I believe Chalet Village is a little deeper into GB in staed of being in the center of GB and PF. But I have heard a lot of positive things about chalet Village.Let us know what you decide!!!

Powhatan, Virginia
Level Contributor
421 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sky Harbor area question

I own one of the cabins there in Sky Harbor. Found to be convenient since just between PF and G'burg. If going into the park, again, just take the bypass. We also use the bypass to go into G'burg if we want the side close to the park --- Park Grill for example. Love it up there! Mine is NOT the one in the "hole" but on top of a ridge. Unlike lot of areas, they left space and trees between cabins so have more privacy. Found homes in Chalet Village can be close together in some areas.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sky Harbor area question

It is a nice area but one thing you need to make shore you do. Make you first trip to the cabin in the light of day. The roads are steep, narrow, lots of curves and drop offs.

But it is a nice area and I am planning to stay there again.

Glen Carbon IL
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sky Harbor area question

Thanks for replies. After days and weeks of rattling my mind picking a cabin, I finally buckled and booked one at Black Bear Lodging, the cabin is located in Townsend. So, I'm sure to avoid all the traffic mess, and I pretty much know my way around that area. Cades Cove is very close and Cherohala Skyway, too. I can hardly wait to be there again in 3 weeks! Thanks for help.

taylorsmommi
Level Contributor
663 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sky Harbor area question

AH, Townsend is very quiet and nice and not tooooo far from town a short drive. Known as the "quiet side of the Smokies" as I understand it. Good choice! :)

8. Re: Sky Harbor area question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2009, 05:22