We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountain Waters Scenic Byway?

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glen Carbon IL
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Mountain Waters Scenic Byway?

Anyone familiar with this road and how to get there from Newfound Gap Road or Cherokee area?

Tennessee
Level Contributor
884 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mountain Waters Scenic Byway?

here is a link that might help:

byways.org/explore/byways/2320/stories/55600

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mountain Waters Scenic Byway?

I have driven a segment of this road from Topton to hwy 28. It was a nice drive alongside the Nantahala, though something I wouldn't count as an attraction in itself, just a nice place to get somewhere else. There may be more scenic parts further south on the road.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mountain Waters Scenic Byway?

It starts about 20 minutes west of Cherokee. I have drivin it many many times. It is a very pretty drive. A few side roads off it have to be done. Many waterfalls right on the road. Wayah Bald is a 5 mile drive off it. Great views from a firetower there. I would allow 3 hours to complete the entire drive stopping to take pictures.

Glen Carbon IL
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mountain Waters Scenic Byway?

jaded, whats the best way to get there and what are these side roads you're talking about?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mountain Waters Scenic Byway?

The best way to get there is to take Newfound Gap Road over to Oconaluftee, continue down hwy 441 to hwy 19, take that to hwy 74/Great Smoky Mountain Expressway, and go straight from there.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mountain Waters Scenic Byway?

Laurasmom, Blue gave the best directions.

Side roads I like are:

1. River Road which is a dirt road that follows the Nantahala River 4 miles east of Beechertown.

2. Forst Service Road 69 that goes to Wayah Bald. Its a dirt road about 6 miles east of Lake Nantahala. You can see the first Ranger Station in the USA on this road. It is in a pretty surrounding. Follow the road to the end to the Wayah Bald Fire Station. If you go in mid-June the azaleas are in full bloom.

www.bkcave.com/Old/Trips/NC/WayahBald.htm

ncnatural.com/NCUSFS/Nantahala/scenic.html

Glen Carbon IL
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mountain Waters Scenic Byway?

What kind of scenery is on this highway? Mountain views? Do you recommend it for views?

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Mountain Waters Scenic Byway?

Most of the drive will be in a gorge with river and waterfall views. There is 3 or 4 mountain views after you climb the mountain. Wayah Bald has great mountain views.

9. Re: Mountain Waters Scenic Byway?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2009, 05:55