We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Day 2

Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report Day 2

Well, we reached Chattanooga this afternoon and checked into the Baymont Inn in Lookout Mountain. Won't stay here again. For a newer hotel it seems a bit outdated, and it wasn't great. Now we have the evening to relax. (too bad the hot tub is broken) But now we have a question. Lookout mountain? Worth it? Is it worth $90 for 2 of us to ride the incline and go into Ruby Falls or is it a waste? Please all of you out there let me know before tomorrow. By tomorrow night I will be in Gatlinburg.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Day 2

We liked Ruby Falls. It will have lots of water in it after all the rain they have had. I would just do it.

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Day 2

Why not drive up and save the incline money? If I remember correctly we took a motor home up there about 10 years ago.

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Day 2

Glad you are getting closer to Gatlinburg...looking forward to hearing about your trip.

I haven't been to Lookout mountain before but family members have and they really liked Ruby Falls. In my opinion, I think riding the incline would be the most fun part of the visit or at least it looks cool anyway on their website. Online prices are only $14 per person for that so that's not bad.

Have a safe drive to GB tomorrow.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Day 2

I liked Rock City better than the incline and Ruby Falls.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Day 2

It'll be more like $60 for both of you to visit the Incline and Ruby Falls. Speaking purely about review ratings, they are two lowest rated major attractions in Chattanooga. However, I personally think that both are good options if you're truly interested in what each attraction offers. If riding a historic trolley up a steep mountain with good views appeals to you, then go for it. If seeing a tall waterfall in the heart of a mountain catches your attention, go for it. (In the case of Ruby Falls, don't expect much else. The above ground stuff is really commercialized, the cave itself isn't remarkable, the guides aren't usually that great, and if you go in the afternoon the group sizes are too large. But the waterfall is really neat, and if you'd like to see it that alone makes up for the admission enough to give the attraction four stars out of five.) Rock City is generally considered the best of the three highly advertised attractions. The other two are between okay and good, and Rock City is between good and great.

Do keep in mind that there is A LOT on Lookout Mountain besides those three attractions. Namely, an entire national military park unit. The whole front and western side of the mountain is protected. Major sites in the park are Craven's House (not open to the public but interesting historically), Point Park, Sunset Rock, Skyuka Spring, and a whole trail system of good hiking. On top of the mountain in the middle of the residential area (also worth taking a drive around) is the Natural Rock Bridge, a very historic natural wonder that's currently in the process of being turned into a city park.

Further down the mountain is Cloudland Canyon State Park, a very scenic spot well worth the ten minute drive there from Rock City. On the western base of the mountain is the Chattanooga Nature Center and Reflection Riding Arboretum. (Accessible by the same seven dollar ticket.) The nature center is very interesting if you'd like to see some local wildlife (30 different species). There are also board walks over a seasonal marsh, walkways by Lookout Creek, and a large tree house. Reflection Riding is like a smaller, more peaceful Cades Cove with a three mile driving tour (great on a bike), bamboo forests, fields, woodlands, the creek, walking trails, historic information, and many great spots for a picnic. If you want to bike it you can rent cycles from Suck Creek Cycles on North Shore.

Of all these attractions my favourites are Rock City, the military park (specifically the Point Park to Sunset Rock hike), and Reflection Riding.

Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Day 2

Well, let me add that this stay has not gotten any better. Thought we would have a relaxing night in, but it has turned into a joke. First, the only pizza place that delivers is not answering their phone. Then, while researching eating options online, the office chairs front two legs just snap and I find myself in the floor. To top it off, there is the possibility I may have to pay for this cheap chair, which no doubt will be over priced. So, that will be a blow to my vacation budget. I sure hope the rest of this vacation begins to get better, or I may just decide to go home.

Germantown...
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Day 2

I sure hope it gets better for you,Hvae fun Mobday.It will be a great day.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
581 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Day 2

TP,

After that kind of day, I would say head straight to G'burg, drive into the Park, breathe deeply, and listen to the Quiet!!!

Carol

9. Re: Trip Report Day 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 May 2009, 03:34
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report Day 2

Or straight into Reflection Riding.

Looking at the page for the Baymont on this site, it certainly doesn't seem to get good reviews of any kind. (2.5 stars out of 5 on average.) I'm sure your vacation will turn on the upswing as soon as you start enjoying Lookout Mountain tomorrow and the Smokies later on. I do hope your poor experience at that accommodation won't colour your overall view of Chattanooga if this is your first visit; next time pop into the Chattanooga forum and you can get some advice to have a much better experience next time. Hope you read my suggestions and that you have a good time tomorrow!