We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Day 4&5

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report Day 4&5

Well, I didn't post yesterday because we did exactly what I said....absolutely nothing. We watched movies and read all day. When we went to get in the hot tub, we did notice the cover was accumulating water and sagging on one side so we informed the rental company who sent someone out. The foam is broken, but nobody knows how. My hope right now is they won't try to charge me for it.

Today, we went on a side trip to Del Rio and Chapel Hollow (the location of the events made famous in the book and tv series Christy). It was a nice trip and exciting for us to see the place we love to watch on tv! We made our way back through Maggie Valley and Cherokee. Beautiful drive through NC. But the construction in the park made the drive from Cherokee a nightmare. We got back and relaxed a while.

Tonight, we saw Magic Beyond Belief. Oh what a wonderful show. Amazing and inspirational. I love the fact that Terry has no qualms about giving credit to God for all he has. Unbelievably entertaining. We may go again tomorrow if I can talk the wife into it. I was part of one of the acts. I got to chain him up for his escape act. Well worth the money and fun for everybody!

Tomorrow is not planned yet. I love vacation!

taylorsmommi
Level Contributor
663 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Day 4&5

Sounds great! Can't wait to hear more :)

Tennessee
Level Contributor
884 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Day 4&5

You should really go and see The Miracle! I bet you would love it!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
768 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Day 4&5

Have enjoyed reading your TR. I agree that you should see the Miracle. It is an outstanding performance.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Day 4&5

Sounds like you are having a relaxing vacation. I bet it was wonderful reading all day in your cabin! Thanks for your updates!

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,669 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Day 4&5

I've never been able to make myself just lay around the cabin all day. Lucky you!

Canada, Kentucky
Level Contributor
778 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Day 4&5

Del Rio and Chapel Hollow.....2 places I haven't been and I absolutely LOVE Christy. Tell me more.......please

Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Day 4&5

Well, Del Rio is about an hour from Gatlinburg. You go East through Cosby toward I-40 and you will come to Newport. Take highway 25/70 out of Newport about 12 miles and you will find Del Rio (Del Rio is the town known as El Pano in the book and series). When you get there, you will see a sign that directs you to the Christy Mission site (Highway 107 to Old 15th). You turn down the road and go beside some railroad tracks (the ones the real "Christy" road in on). On the left is also a boarding house where she stayed and the old general store site. Not far down, the highway will cross the railroad tracks, and as you cross, to your right, there is a sign and the remaining foundation showing the old El Pano station Christy gets dropped at. In real life, she got off one stop too early and then missed the people who were to pick her up so she had to stay at the boarding house overnight before finding Pentland to take her to the cove.

About a mile down this road, you see a sign on the left that says Christy Mission pointing to the right. If you ain't careful, you will miss it. We did the first time. Down the road a little ways are two signs (both must sees). One is a sign for the Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church. It is about 3 miles down the road and then up a very steep one way gravel drive. This is the restored original school and church from the Christy Mission site location. It was relocated, I think in 1945, to its current location where it severed ties with the Presbyterian denomination and became an independent missionary Baptist Church. Beautiful place to see.

After you see that, you come down the driveway and continue down the road slightly until you see a sign that says Christy Mission keep right. At this point you veer onto a gravel/dirt road on the right. Stay on the main road no matter which direction it is going. There are little roads going off to the right, but they do not go to the mission. The road is very steep and only about 3/4 of a lane wide....I kept praying there was no car coming toward us and luckily there wasn't. When you reach the top of this road, there is a sign welcoming you to Chapel Hollow (Cutter Gap) with some history of the historical site. There is plenty to see in Chapel Hollow.

In some ways you may feel a little let down, as I did, when you see some of these things. You get so used to seeing things on tv that when you see their historical basis it is weird. Don't get me wrong, it was very neat and exciting, and I would go again, but some of the fiction of the series really shows up in a visit. The foundation of the mission house remains and you can see it. There is a sign marking everything. In the show, it is a huge chalet of a log cabin big enough to have boarders. From the foundation it appears the house was smaller than most area cabins today, even the cabins still on the site were bigger than the foundation. Just goes to show what the city girl did give up coming to the mountains. Also, David did not sleep in the mission house. He had his own bunkhouse next to it. You can also see the site where the church originally stood. Also, the O'teale cabin was still there on the property, but much closer than one would think from the series. There is also a picnic area available to eat at. Standing in the cove made it easy to see how hard it must have been for that young lady. She didn't have the roads we did to get there. She was 5 miles from civilization. But that 5 miles was up and down mountains and across rivers which would make it seem like 30. Wonderful place to visit. Great side trip. I hope to post some pictures soon.

Canada, Kentucky
Level Contributor
778 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Day 4&5

Thank you texaspreacher for all that interesting information! It sounds so neat! Now, do you know that the actual show was shot somewhere around Townsend, I believe? Because several years ago we stayed in Townsend and went to a small restaurant there that had once been a house. In the main dining room the wall was covered with autographed pictures of the actors covering the wall. There was some discussion going on about it and the location must be near. Seems like I heard them mention Laurel Valley??? but I could be wrong...you might want to do some investigating on that while you are there! Give us more if you find out! Thanks!

Canada, Kentucky
Level Contributor
778 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Day 4&5

Just another tidbit.....we stopped one year in Norris where that farm museum is located.....they had a shop that had all kinds of antique stuff. I went looking and guess what I got! I have a wooden bowl and a wooden spoon that was actually used on the set of Christy!!! I was so excited to get it!

Prattville, Alabama
Level Contributor
937 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report Day 4&5

What kind of construction is going on in the park? We haven't been in the area since this past February, and there was nothing going on then. It must have started sometime after that.