We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Where We Shopped

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisiana
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Where We Shopped

On the Parkway in Gatlinburg – It was fun to just walk up and down the parkway and look at the “stuff”. Who knew this was the handbag capital of the world??? Definitely shop around, though. The first couple of places had the same prices on some identical items, so we assumed that they all “comparison shopped” and the prices would be the same everywhere. So my daughter bought and purse and then found it $8 cheaper in the next store!

The Christmas Place – Somebody here gave me this tip about the artist in the Personalization area. We took him the rental place’s brochure with a picture of our cabin and he painted the cabin on a big white ornament. It was beautiful and a very unique keepsake for $25.

At Dollywood – My daughter is going back to the area with her boyfriend’s family later this summer, so it was worth it to get the upgrade to a gold seasons pass. I had expected the prices at the shops in Dollywood to be theme-park-high, but they weren’t. In fact, a few pieces in the Alewine Pottery shop were less expensive than the same things we had seen at their shop. And then you get a 20% discount with the pass. I really wanted some stained glass, so I went to the stained glass shop. They will do custom work, so I picked out a piece that I liked the layout, then she let me pick out the colors and style of glass that I wanted. I had to pick it up the next day, but I love it!

Smoky Mountain Knife Works – All I can say is WOW! I was expecting a small, grimy place with a bunch of hunting knives. But no. This place is huge! If you’ve ever had your heart set on an antique Chinese war medal, or a pair of bamboo toaster tongs, or a samurai sword, this is the place! And oh yeah, you can buy a hunting knife here too!

Moonshine Ridge – This is on Wears Valley Road and they have a great selection of “mountain-y” gifts. They also have a huge selection of jams, jellies, salsas and other edibles and have samples out to try. They also have a BBQ restaurant attached, but we didn’t try it.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Where We Shopped

That was me about the ornament. Aren't they great? I was amazed at the amount of detail they put into it and for $25 it can't be beat!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Where We Shopped

It really was amazing. The picture looked like it had been taken from a helicopter above the cabin. It was shadowy and partially obscured by the trees. So what the artist painted on the ornament was really much better than the picture. He did a great job.

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Where We Shopped

Can the artist put anything on the personalized ornament...like a pet or something? Did you have to pick that up the next day , too or do they do it right there while you wait? I would love to have some made with my cats on them.

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Where We Shopped

I loved Moonshine Ridge! Awesome homemade stuff!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Where We Shopped

I assume he will put whatever you want on the ornament. He is a very talented young man. The timing depends on how busy he is. I dropped mine off and picked it up a couple days later since we were in the area for several days.

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Where We Shopped

Thanks mckdh,

The Christmas Place is always my first place I stop when I get into town so I can check into it and I'll be there for three days so I could get it before I leave.

Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Where We Shopped

Moonshine Ridge is a great store, last time we got several different kinds of salsa,mainly because they had samples for you to try. Has anyone tried their restaurant, or at least I guess it has opened. I know when they first opened the store, they said the restaurant would open later.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Where We Shopped

A girl did my ornament. There are just a few of the artists who will do the freestyle. If they are not on duty at the time, just leave the picture and you have to prepay of course. You usually do have to pick it up the next day. With all of the detail, it does take them awhile to do.

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,710 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - Where We Shopped

Smoky Mountain Knifeworks is almost a museum to older cutlery and new. They have knives on sale on cable all the time. It is a huge building and they were adding on last fall. You can leave a review for them also on TA.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - Where We Shopped

Wellsms - I've eaten breakfast at Moonshine Ridge and I would not eat there again. It was very, very blah and a biscuit from Hardee's would have been much better. It's the only meal I've eaten there, but I don't think I'll be trying lunch or supper either. I love the store though!