We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

? about Cades Cove

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisiana
Level Contributor
125 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
? about Cades Cove

How far is Cade's Cove from PF/Gatlinburg? How close is it to Townsend? I am thinking we should do Cades Cove and tubing in Townsend on the same day. Is this a good plan? How much time should we allow for tubing and Cades Cove, we would probably stop at all the old homesteads. I was thinking to be in Cades Cove for around 8:00am and then do the tubing after lunch. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Germantown...
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ? about Cades Cove

Sounds good but keep in mind to really see everything at Cades Coves will take about a day depending on the traffic,Gatlinburg to Cades Cove is somewhere around 35 miles,Townsend to Cades Cove around 28 give or take.I would think that you would need at least 4 good hours of tubing.

You could do both in a day but its going to be tight.I would allow more time to be spent in the National Park.There is just too much to see in just a few hours.

I would start Cades Cove around 7 am untill about 1 then go tubing from around 2 until???

You could take a picnic lunch to save some time.

Have fun on your trip.

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ? about Cades Cove

I think that sounds like a good plan. I haven't been to Cades Cove in a while but i would say it's about 45 minutes from Gatlinburg so not that far from Townsend....maybe 15 minutes? I have always wanted to stop and tube in Townsend. Depending on when you go, I think it can get crowded.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
884 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ? about Cades Cove

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I was thinking it was only 8-10 miles from Townsend to Cades Cove. I thought it was like seven miles from the Wye.

You shouldn't have any trouble doing both in one day!

Enjoy your trip!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ? about Cades Cove

The drive to Cades Cove from Gatlinburg is about three quarters of an hour, but that's only if you don't stop along the way. There's enough along Little River Road alone to fill a whole day of exploring. It takes about a half hour to get to Cades Cove from Townsend; Laurel Creek Road is a little longer than most people suspect.

I think Cades Cove and tubing can be fit together into one day, but you could easily spend the whole day along Little River Road and Cades Cove Loop Road, as well.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ? about Cades Cove

By the way, if you want to experience some nice views of Cades Cove and a backcountry road, take Rich Mountain Road out of Cades Cove. It's rather windy and isn't wonderfully maintained but is a nice, quiet way of getting to Townsend from the cove. The steep switchbacks at the beginning of the drive are pretty neat.

Glen Carbon IL
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ? about Cades Cove

There's also a pretty road called Parsons Branch Road off of Cades Cove. It's a primiive gravel one-way road, it's a nice wooded setting with ALOT of streams, some crossing the road itself. I highly recommend it. Rich Mountain is also nice with a gorgeous pull-off with a view of Cades Cove below. If it's not too early, I'd start out at 7:30, 8:00 it starts getting busy already. The morning mist against the mts. is really pretty in the early morning! And it is about 7 miles from Townsend.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ? about Cades Cove

And if you don't want to drive all the way through to the southern edge of the park on one-way Parsons Branch you can just take the two-way Forge Creek Road that connects Parsons Branch and Cades Cove Loop roads. Forge Creek Road is a pretty woodland stream-side drive with a trail head for Gregory Bald a neat little homestead that's well worth stopping to see.

Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ? about Cades Cove

We have done both in one day, starting with Cades Cove and then tubing, it makes for a really nice day since they aren't far apart. And the tubing is relaxing after getting in and out of the car at Cades Cove to explore, it can get really hot and the water is always cool. This is a plan for one of our days down there this week too if the weather cooperates.

Maryville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
168 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ? about Cades Cove

I would have to disagree with the posters. Cades Cove is no more than 10 minutes from the west side of Townsend. Yes, it will take you about 45 minutes from Gatlinburg, even longer if you look at the scenery. I would also recommend going back on Hwy 321 through Wear's Valley. That is also a beautiful drive.

Cades Cove and tubing in Townsend in one day is very doable. I do it all the time. Please be aware, though, that just yesterday alone, the fire department made 4 different rescues of tubers because the water has been a little rough. That's not to say don't do it...just exercise caution.

I would do Cades Cove first thing in the morning and the tubing in the afternoon. like you mentioned.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ? about Cades Cove

"Cades Cove is no more than 10 minutes from the west side of Townsend." That's not possible; you'd have to be going sixty miles an hour for that to be correct. Speed limits are never more than 45 in the park, and I remember specific portions where it was more like thirty. Thus, the drive is more like twenty minutes coming in from Townsend, and more like thirty if you stop along the way somewhere along lovely Laurel Creek.