We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riding Bikes in Cades Cove

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Topic
Riding Bikes in Cades Cove

My family wants to rent bikes and tour Cades Cove. We are all fairly active but we are from Florida where the bike trails and roads are flat. How hilly is Cades Cove? We have a older person who will be riding with us and I don't think she will be able to ride if the terrian is too mountainous. T

Pembroke Pines...
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Riding Bikes in Cades Cove

We bike the Cove almost every year. Being from flat-land Florida myself, I would characterize the loop as pretty hilly! There are a few steep uphills and downhills. If you aren't used to hills, then I'd suggest getting off and walking those sections. The downhill sections are more hazardous than going uphill, some downhill stretches have signage that advises getting off and walking at that point. I've never had a problem staying on my bike safely on the downhills (I take it cautiously), but there are usually one or two uphill sections that force me off to a walk!! It all depends on your physical condition, the bike you have (gears) and your handling skills. There are also roads that cut through the middle, so you can make the loop shorter if you wish.

My advice is make sure everyone wears helmets, take you time, and have fun. I'm assuming that you want to do the ride on Wednesday or Saturday morning before 10 am, when the loop is closed to cars. I wouldn't want to try to bike it when the loop is open to normal traffic. It is really beautiful in the early morning!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
123 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riding Bikes in Cades Cove

How long does it take to ride a bike all the way through?

Pembroke Pines...
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Riding Bikes in Cades Cove

It really depends on how fast you go and how many times you stop! If you stop and explore the various buildings along the way and take your time, it can take several hours. Fast riders that don't stop can do it in less than 40 minutes. :-)

I would probably allow at least a couple of hours for the whole loop. I think last year we did the loop in about an hour, but we didn't stop all that much.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
38,713 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riding Bikes in Cades Cove

It is a law in Tennessee that all children under the age of 18 (I think) must wear helmets when riding bicycles on public roads, so helmets are a must for children.

I'm from TN originally and even for someone who rides in hilly areas, I consider some of the hills in Cades Cove to be extreme, but only about two or three of them are necessary to "walk up" per se.

We've biked Cades Cove several times, and it normally takes us 2 or 2.5 hours if we make very limited stops. The best time to do this is on either early WEdnesday or Saturday mornings in the summer when the road is closed to vehicle traffic until 10:00 AM.

Florida
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Riding Bikes in Cades Cove

Thanks for the information. I think we will have to drive it first to see how big the hills are before we go off and try to ride it.

Germantown...
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riding Bikes in Cades Cove

I would say Cades Cove loop will be alittle hard,It has alot of up hills and you have to walk the bike down the hills.There's alot of places to ride in the area,you dont have to take the loop.

If you do rent bikes be careful.I have seen so many close calls up there.The bikers will be in the middle of the road and not realize there's a really long line there holding up,Please pull off to the side of the road to let the cars pass.

Make sure you take Water wilth you.They only sell at the little store.which also has hotdogs,nachos etc.

They have horse back riding up there too.

7. Re: Riding Bikes in Cades Cove

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2009, 06:19