We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Preserve Resort, Gatlinburg, Tennessee

Palm City, Florida
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The Preserve Resort, Gatlinburg, Tennessee

Hi

Has anyone ever stayed at "the Preserve Resort" in Gatlinburg? or know anything about it. The pictures of the cabins on their web-site are beautiful. We ( my husband and 4 kids) just booked a Thanksgiving vaction there. We've never been to tennessee before, we are driving up from florida and would appreciate any advice or "must do's" for the area. My kids are ages 14, 13, 5,3.

Thibodaux, LA
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Preserve Resort, Gatlinburg, Tennessee

GG66,

Your first "must do" would be to report back to us about the resort since no one seems to know anything about it lol ;) I too was interested in staying there but it lacks input everytime I ask...

Well, as far as what to do, there ae so many options:

-Tour the National Park

-Dollywood

-Dinner Theaters/Shows (Dixie Stampede, Comedy Barn, Black Bear Jamboree, just to name a few)

-Horseback Rides (if available)

-Ice Skating

-Ski Lift/Tram

-Watch them make taffy at the candy shops

This is only a start...it really depends on what your family is in to.

FWIW,

Mandi

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Preserve Resort, Gatlinburg, Tennessee

When our children were little, we always had to stop at The Mine in P. Forge. The kids get a bag of dirt to sift through in a flowing trough, like they are mining. Our children were always happy with the stones that they found. If you want you can have the stones turned into jewelery, but that is pricey.

Smokiesgrl

Palm City, Florida
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: The Preserve Resort, Gatlinburg, Tennessee

Thanks Mandi for all the great ideas.

I'm so excited to see the mountains!!

We've lived in FL. for the past 16 years so my poor kids have never seen mountains and 3 of them have never seen snow! Is snow a possibility in late Nov? Do we need heavy jackets this time of year? or are jeans and sweaters enough? I'm sorry to ask such dumb questions, but we only have hot and hotter here.

I'm a little apprehensive about "the preserve resort" now that I found Trip Advisor and no one seems to know anything about it. Oh well a guess it will be a real adventure.(Especially being in the car with 4 kids for 14 hours!!!)

One last question. If anyone has driven from South Florida to Gatlingburg - do you recomend driving straight thru or stopping one night and if so, where? Thanks a bunch!

Jonesborough, TN
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The Preserve Resort, Gatlinburg, Tennessee

I've done 12-14 hour trips with kids in years' past and I recommend stopping one night. I did that once when we lived in Florida in the Melbourne area and had to drive to Ohio. We stopped by mid afternoon (I think it was Valdosta) and I let the girls swim in the motel pool. I made that part of 'the vacation plan.' They loved it! They were less cranky, too, because the days were shorter.

As far as weather is concened, the patterns have been a little different the last couple of years. I live about 2 hours east of Gatlinburg and we have had warmer than usual winters for two or three years now. I suggest you log onto weather.com, enter Gatlinburg, bookmark, and check in every once in a while. You will get a better idea of how the weather is going here. Then a week before your trip, when you view the week long forecast, you can make a better judgement call as to what you may need to bring for outerwear.

Hope that helps!

Indiana
Level Contributor
579 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Preserve Resort, Gatlinburg, Tennessee

You must visit the Ripleys Aquarium. It is great fun for the kids and adults as well. My granddaughter loves the sky lift even though there is nothing to speak of when you get to the top. The view is great and the ride is fun too. We also like to hike some of the trails and go horseback riding.

Palm City, Florida
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: The Preserve Resort, Gatlinburg, Tennessee

Thanks to all for the great ideas. It really helps alot.

I promise to give a full review of "the Preserve resort"

when we get back

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Preserve Resort, Gatlinburg, Tennessee

Hi GG66,

We are also looking into driving from Florida (Palm Habor), to Gatlinburg around Thanksgiving with our 2 kids, 11 & 16. I have been looking also at the Preserve Resort. I wish someone had some advice on it also. Looking forward to your review. We might also do the plunge and go there also it looks really beautiful. We love the mountains.

Columbus, OH
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: The Preserve Resort, Gatlinburg, Tennessee

Hello,

I too saw the beautiful pictures of The Preserve Resort. Wondering how you experience was at the cabin. Would you recommend? Which one did you stay in?

Thanks!

9. Re: The Preserve Resort, Gatlinburg, Tennessee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2006, 23:01
Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Preserve Resort, Gatlinburg, Tennessee

42 pretty much hit the nail on the head. We stayed there in Jan. Interiors depicted on the website are fairly accurate. If you look at one of the pics, you can see a house out the window. That is pretty much what you see. We had the 2 BR on the end of a cul-de-sac, so we were not being looked on by the neighbors, however is you are on the straight road, you can see the houses from the sides of the balcony. They have beautiful views from the balconies straight out, however it is a subdivision, with perhaps 30-40 ft. between each house.

Overall, a nice place, but if you are looking for seclusion, look elsewhere.