We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Italian's Prices...Are You Kidding Me?

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,119 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Best Italian's Prices...Are You Kidding Me?

I hate to be such a downer, guys, but I was considering trying Best Italian next week on my short visit to Gatlinburg after hearing all the good reviews....that is until I saw their prices on their website menu.

Are you kidding me? $12 and up for a Calzone? Over $4.00 for an order of those garlic rolls when they ought to be free with an entree order like other places have?

Now, I know you guys all rave about this place, but I simply cannot justify those kind of prices for a meal, especially since this isn't really considered an "upscale" place per se.

Here in Chattanooga, we have a very nice "more upscale" italian restaurant (no, not Olive Garden) that offers some very nice entrees with the salad and garlic rolls all included for a lower price than I'm seeing with Best Italian on similar items.

Guess I'll be looking around again for another dinner location, but I just can't handle meals this expensive.

Just my choice; you're milage may vary.

North Myrtle Beach...
Level Contributor
350 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Italian's Prices...Are You Kidding Me?

Kat, I don't really care for Best Italian's food or prices. So, I'm saying don't waste your time and money.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,709 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Italian's Prices...Are You Kidding Me?

Yeah, we all have differing opinions. Nothing wrong with that.

We love Best Italian, and we'll go back again and again. the calzone is $12, but my last one fed me at the restaurant, and me & the kids the next evening, so $12 ain't so much to me. The chicken parmesan was large enough to split between my wife and daughter.

I didn't think it was such a bad deal, but I certainly woulnd't try to talk you into going, either. There are too many wonderful places in the area to try.

greenville sc
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Italian's Prices...Are You Kidding Me?

When Lisa and I went when we were up there last June we were not impressed at all, way overpriced. And we have eaten at Food Network Chef resteraunts before like Bobby Flays and Emerill Legasse's so we are use to having to pay for a meal before, but we just thought that Best Italian did not live up to the hype.

Under your bed
Level Contributor
334 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Italian's Prices...Are You Kidding Me?

I also do not understand the hype over this place. My family has gone twice in recent years and we thought the food was just okay. The only thing really worth the price was the garlic rolls, which were outstanding.

I also think it's kinda sad that whenever this place gets a bad review, no matter how many details were provided, someone always rates it "Unhelpful" because they didn't agree with the reviewer's opinion. :/ I have noticed this with popular places like the Pancake Pantry too.

greenville sc
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Italian's Prices...Are You Kidding Me?

That's funny Metalwolf, I have also noticed that. For the record we thought the Pancake Pantry did not live up to the hype either.

Lorain, Ohio
Level Contributor
852 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Italian's Prices...Are You Kidding Me?

Kat,

I have looked over the menu several times and I just couldn't see it, maybe if you were going to split a meal... maybe... it just seemed a little pricey to me too!!

but, thats just me...

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
135 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Italian's Prices...Are You Kidding Me?

We are leaving for GB in the morning. My wife and 2 daughters LOVE Best Italian..they say the lasagna is the best they have ever had, as for me I agree you you... kinda pricey, no atmosphere to speak of and the Ruben was ok but not all that great. But since the wife and kids like it we will be there because if it makes them happy i'm happy.

But every thing is expensive in gatlinburg, the rent they pay is outragous.\

On another note, I dont go to the every popular pancake places either , I went once years ago but pancakes are flour and water and I just ant pay 12 per person for pancakes ( same with spaghetti) just doesn't make sense to me. When I am out I want something I an not going to make at home.

We do plan om Best italian ( probably 2 -3 times).

The Ruben at Hoffbraue hause is so simple but INCREDIBLE!!

The gatti pizza buffet is popular with the kids.

I hope to try to get some sushi some where.

Can't wait to get there

Glen Carbon IL
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Italian's Prices...Are You Kidding Me?

Like Kat, I wanted to try Best Italian but seen the prices. Someones big portion and mine may be two different things, me and my husband don't split anything! But, I'm sure it's delicious. I do love Italian food. I think I'm going to avoid the traffic and grill on the deck for 3 nights for the cost of that one meal.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Italian's Prices...Are You Kidding Me?

I am used to the prices being high in Gatlinburg. Even if you go to fast food, the combos are almost twice what they would be somewhere else. We went to Best Italian. It was ok but not wonderful. What got me though was the service was AWFUL! Very slow and almost ignored. Try getting a refill for your drink. Kat, save your money. You don't even get good service for that price.

paintsville ky
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Italian's Prices...Are You Kidding Me?

I agree it is to high. I don't mine eating at Cherokee Grill or some place nice. where you can get a steak and all the trimmings. but not a calzone that I can get at Pizza Hut.