We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Gatlinburg during Pigeon Forge car show????

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aurora,KY
Level Contributor
528 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Gatlinburg during Pigeon Forge car show????

No I haven't gone crazy and I am not having a "Senior" moment but I would like to plan a trip for my husband's birthday this year.It falls during the Shades of the Past car show in Pigeon Forge but we usually stay in Gatlinburg. Would it be better to stay in PF because I know about the traffic or do you think we could get around using the back roads if we stayed in Gatlinburg? I am trying to get this together without him knowing about it. We also plan a trip in October because I just love the Smokies in the Fall and our daughter and her family go at that time also so it is a "family affair". He loves old cars and has always talked about going during that time and he has had some medical problems this year so I would like to do this for him.

What do you all think? Am I crazy to go during that time? If we stayed in Pigeon Forge where would be the best place to stay because I hear people just line up their lawn chairs and watch the cars. If I need to go over to the PF Forum I will but thought I would get some ideas from my buddies over here.

Be nice to this "old lady".

Linda

taylorsmommi
Level Contributor
663 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Gatlinburg during Pigeon Forge car show????

It's true people line hundreds of lawn chairs along the parkway!! The first time we saw this it was hysterical! But the traffic IS a nightmare during car shows. If you are familiar with the back roads, and really would rather stay in GB, I think it would be fine. But there are several hotels right on the pkwy in PF that would give you easy walking access to all the cars and sidewalks. I do not know if you usually rent a cabin or go into a hotel, but there are even some cabins that are fairly close to the pkwy. If I understand you correctly, this show is in OCtober? Then you have a double whammy as far as traffic because that is pretty much one of the busiest months of the year. So really it all depends on how much you want to be inconvienenced! :)

Aurora,KY
Level Contributor
528 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Gatlinburg during Pigeon Forge car show????

Thanks for your quick reply and suggestions. The actual car show is in September (sorry for the confusion) but we have our family trip in October. I just wanted to do something special for my husband on his birthday Sept.10th plus try and get TWO trips in this year!!! We have stayed in both cabins and motels in Gatlinburg and motels in Pigeon Forge but we aren't that familiar with PF motels. We are familiar with the back roads and have many maps. What motels would you suggest in PF that would be convenient for watching the cars. We would probably go out during the day to the Park and then come back into PF to watch the cars at night.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Gatlinburg during Pigeon Forge car show????

Before we began calling this home we stayed at the Quality Inn & Suites At Dollywood Lane (3756 Parkway) on a couple occassions and found it clean and a good locatoin for the car shows. It gives you parkway frontage without being noisy as one side of it is perpendicualr to the parkway and not parrallel.

It's also towards the G'burg end of town.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Gatlinburg during Pigeon Forge car show????

If it is anything like last year, crowds were way down during the car show.

SE Indiana
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Gatlinburg during Pigeon Forge car show????

Depending on your or his ability to get around, I'd consider getting a room with a patio/terrace/deck overlooking a good hi-way or street.

I think you can enjoy just as much from a nice view from above.

Most of those rodders are gonna run in the park some anyway, so I dont think GB or PF will matter.

BTW...you sound like the purrfect bride! Taking him to a car show and all...You go gurl!

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
1,102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in Gatlinburg during Pigeon Forge car show????

We actually love to go to the smokies during the Fall Grand Rod Run in September. We have planned our trips to fall on that week ON PURPOSE at least twice so far. We have never been during the Shades of the Past rod run though. I did not find traffic to be terribly bad..except the traffic on friday night through Pigeon Forge was pretty bad. We sat in traffic for a while & then we decided to get off and use the back roads that night. For the GRAND FALL ROD RUN: The cars seem to start coming into town early on in the week & more kept coming all the way up through friday night. Most of them seemed to leave Saturday night or Sunday. It is fun to walk around and look at all the parked cars during the day time. They will be parked in all the strip malls and hotel and restaurant parking lots on the strip. At night we would retreat back to our hotel room in Gatlinburg. We usually spend the nights walking around GB. A few rod runners did cruise through Gatlinburg, but most of them stayed out on the strip in Pigeon Forge. BUT, I do NOT know if this will be the same for the Shades of the Past Rod Run.

So, we stay in Gatlinburg during the Rod Runs, but venture out during the afternoon to PF to enjoy the cars. I guess it just depends on what you want to do. I know the GRAND hotel is where they usually have the car show tents and all the official t-shirt sales tents for the GRAND Fall Rod Run (sept 18-20). So, it MIGHT be a good choice if you WANT to stay in PF for that car show. The Shades of the Past car show (sept 11&12) looks like it is held at the Smoky River Ranch. The shades of the past website says that you turn at light #1 to get to the event site & that their host hotel is the National Parks Resort Lodge. Here is a link to that website for more details:

shadesofthepast.com/2009data/rodruninfo.html

Hope this helps! Have a great time at the Rod Run!

Gatlinburg, TN
Level Contributor
307 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in Gatlinburg during Pigeon Forge car show????

If you don't plan on going to the car show & wish to spend most of your time in Gatlinburg & the Park, definately stay in Gatlinburg. Gatlinburg is normally not that bad on car show weekends because many people that would normally come to Gatlinburg avoid it during rod runs.

Aurora,KY
Level Contributor
528 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay in Gatlinburg during Pigeon Forge car show????

As always some great suggestions and information from this forum. We love Gatlinburg and the couple of stays in PF were okay but just not the same as Gatlinburg to us because it is hard for me to get around due to past back surgery and I just don't do shopping while on vacation. I can manage Gatlinburg because of all the benches along the parkway.

"Gottagocit" thank you for the motel suggestion because that sounds like a great location and it would be easier, I think, for us to make it on over to Gatlinburg byway of the back roads.

Hey "340Sc" we have been married for 40 years so I think I know him well enough that he would probably like to spend just one night (maybe 2) in PF looking at the cars and then on over to our favorite town "Gatlinburg". I also like the suggestion to get a room with a patio/terrace/deck overlooking a good hi-way where he could set and have a few drinks and just DREAM while looking at all those "great" cars. This would be his idea of Heaven!

Daisy I think you must be reading my mind because I am sort of leaning toward your suggestion with staying in Gatlinburg and venturing out during the day to see the cars. Was it real bad getting out of town and back into Gatlinburg in the evening? I don't think we would spend more then 2 days taking in all the cars anyway because we both are in love with the mountains, Roaring Fork and Cades Cove so no trip is complete without those "fixes".

Glad to hear also, Coffee, that Gatlinburg wouldn't be over crowded during that time.

Guess now I have to figure out what to do????? If we come in on Thursday we could stay in PF for 2 nights then on over to Gatlinburg for 2 nights. I hope I can pull this off for him because it is something he has wanted to do for many years. Decisions, decisions what to do!!!!

Thanks again and anymore suggestions would be appreciated.

Linda

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay in Gatlinburg during Pigeon Forge car show????

I have been there 2 years during that car show. Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg both were very crowded. Book your hotel way in advance! Last year everything in PF was full, and I do mean everything! There were some rooms in Gatlinburg at some of the older places. The rates go up a good amount (last year $20. more a night) for that weekend.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,742 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay in Gatlinburg during Pigeon Forge car show????

You haven't gone crazy, my family has visited for the car show for the past 35 years. I no longer go with my parents due to taking my kids out of school but i sure do miss it. My dad had several old cars as i was growing up. Your husband will love it i think it's a great idea. You might still find a room in PF because the crowds are down considerably the last few years. You really should stay in a hotel on the parkway so you can walk around to see the cars. I can recommend the econo lodge riverside (but i don't know if they have openings). Gburg would be easier to get around but you wouldn't see as much of the action. Traffic will be bad in PF but if you get in the inside lane it will move slowly. I hope you have a blast, wish i was there.