We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Less Crowded Season

Oklahoma
3 posts
Save Topic
Less Crowded Season

Hello,

My family and I are planning a trip to the Smokies, and would like some opinions on the best season to go, ie. when the crowds have thinned out. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

an Oklahoman

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
351 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Less Crowded Season

My sister and I visited here at the end of April this year. The trees and wildflowers were in bloom and it was beautiful! It was after spring break but before the summer crowds. There were plenty of people, especially on the weekends, but nothing too crowded. We went to Dollywood one day and by early afternoon we basically had the place to ourselves. If I go back I will definitely go during late April or early May.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Less Crowded Season

Early spring is wonderful. The weather is perfect for us since we like it cool, and though there are tourists, it's nothing compared to Fall and Summertime.

If you really want the pace to be near empty, try February. The rates will be at their lowest, and there will be little traffic.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Less Crowded Season

June, July, August, and October are the peak times; winter has the fewest visitors. Weekdays are less crowded than weekends, with summertime as an exception.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,636 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Less Crowded Season

we went the last week of April also. Was nice-- between spring break and summer crowds. Tons of wild flowers, lots of water running and not terribly crowded. Cades Cove was much busier than I expected. Maybe a dozen cars backed up on Sunday afternoon and again Friday around dinner time. We spent all of our time in the park not at Dollywood or any shows, etc, so not sure about the crowds there. Very pretty time in the park and quiet aside from Cades Cove. Also got a good deal on the cabin. 2 bedroom-- rented for a week and they gave us 2 of the nights free. Am thinking that would NOT be the case during peak time :)

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Less Crowded Season

A Question for those who went the last week of April....what temps did you encounter? Are the trees out in leaf by then or are they still bare?

indiana
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Less Crowded Season

My husband and I went the 1st week of December a couple years ago and it was the least busy I have ever seen. (We have gone at every time of the year)

The hotels were very cheap and they all had openings. I know a lot of the cabin companies have specials then, as well.

Also, the Winterfest lights are up all over town.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Less Crowded Season

This is for vanclan. The leaves will not be on the trees in higher elevations. This said the Dogwoods will be in full bloom. They are so pretty. If you wait until mid-May the trees will be fully leaved.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,636 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Less Crowded Season

to answer the question about weather, etc the end of April-- leaves were out-- but not thick underbrush, so easier to spot bear :) Temps were great... low 80's for highs. Dogwoods all in bloom, yes. Was quite pretty. I'd show some photos, but I don't know how to add them here.

paintsville ky
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Less Crowded Season

we went in early March and it was not crowded and the sun was shining and it was wonderful. a little cool but a thin jacket was just right.very nice time

Richmond, Indiana
Level Contributor
196 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Less Crowded Season

We go every year the third week in May. The weather is usually always nice. Temps are upper 70's to low 80's.