We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November crowds

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Prattville, Alabama
Level Contributor
937 posts
Save Topic
November crowds

I'm still trying to figure out some good dates in November for us to go to Gatlinburg. I was wondering what the crowds are like the weekend before and week of Thanksgiving. I'm thinking about the 21st - 25th. That would be arriving the Saturday before Thanksgiving and leaving the day before Thanksgiving. I really don't want to be there on the weekend, (we usually take our trips Sunday through Thursday) but I'm having a hard time with the dates because of Dollywood's schedule, Winterfest kickoff (don't want to be there for that, but want to be there afterwards so the lights will be on) and a few other issues that are limiting my dates.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,451 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November crowds

Some folks arrive early for Thanksgiving, so you may find crowds that early in the week too.

However, if you can't work out to come even earlier, come when you can.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November crowds

We go alot the 3rd weekend in November. It's usually pretty manageable. You fall between the crowds of Winterfest kickoff and Thanksgiving. It not bad crowd wise but the weather is hit and miss. I think you should go for it.

Prattville, Alabama
Level Contributor
937 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: November crowds

Thanks yall. I've talked with the hubs about it and we came up with getting there on the 20th, which is a Friday, going to DW on Sunday, and coming home on the 24th. That way we won't be on the road the day right before Thanksgiving.

I'm wondering if we should go ahead and make reservations. We never do because our hotel is never full when we go in February. Plus, we always use a coupon out of those books you get at gas stations and it can't be used if you have reservations. But since we're going to be there through the weekend, I'm guessing rates will be a little higher.

Prattville, Alabama
Level Contributor
937 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: November crowds

Oh, and as far as the weather, I'm hoping for cold! I'm tired of this Alabama heat and humidity. But we all know how the weather can be. Very unpredictable!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
581 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: November crowds

Our family likes being there that week and spending any of the days after Thanksgiving at the Biltmore. Their Christmas Season usually starts the day after Thanksgiving and it is so worth the trip. The G'burg weather is often clear and cool, but we have also had gray and sleeting. Of course, I think ANY time in G'burg is worth it!

Carol

Prattville, Alabama
Level Contributor
937 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: November crowds

Looks like we'll be headed up that way on the 20th (Friday) and come home a day or two before Thanksgiving. We're definitely not staying for Thanksgiving though. Our families have get togethers that we don't want to miss. This will be the first time that I get to see Dollywood decorated for Christmas (which is the main reason we're going). I'm looking forward to it!

SE Indiana
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: November crowds

"Our families have get togethers that we don't want to miss"...LOL...That's the EXACT reason that Susan and I are going to the 'burg over Thanksgiving...

We're leaving town and gonna let the in-laws and out-laws fight it out on their own!

And, we've decided that if it works out OK for us we're going again @Christmas!

TG and Christmas have become too much of a hassle to deal with anymore...when the boys were young we were expected to go to "this one's" and "that one's" house. And being young and dumb some holidays we made as many as 5!!! stops...

Plus, I'm plain tired of cooking! We're gong for the motel with and microwave and Swanson this year!

Then, instead of lying on the couch like an old bear- we're gonna tromp a trail in hopes of "seeing" an old bear!

Given a choice, we're opting OUT!

Sorry for the thread hi-jack...but this is the 1st TG I've looked f-ward in YEARS!

Prattville, Alabama
Level Contributor
937 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: November crowds

haha! 34oSc that's funny!

We HAVE missed get-togethers in the past, but not on purpose. We lived in Turkey for a couple of years when my husband was in the Air Force and missed Christmas with the family at least once that I can remember. And I can't remember about T.giving. Anyways, while we did have an absolute blast in Turkey, we both missed being home. It just wasn't the same. My family also gets together a lot throughout the year for random cookouts and stuff (4th of July, birthdays, etc) and we missed all of that too. So I said that whenever we finally made it back home to Alabama, we're not missing another family gathering. Hubs agreed.

I hope you and yours have the Thanksgiving that you're hoping for! :)

Lockport, IL
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: November crowds

I think you should definitely make your reservation ahead of time. I'm not sure what hotel you usually stay at, or how popular it is. The whole week is typically crowded.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: November crowds

For the last eight years or so, we've been coming to the smokies during the month of November. Temperatures are alot cooler, the crowds are typically smaller. The only downside to visits during the last week of November is alot of my favorite sites are closed till early April. (Places like Clingmans Dome, Mingus Mill, and Roaring Fork auto tour.)