We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 dogs (Labs)

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
savannah
2 posts
Save Topic
2 dogs (Labs)

coming the end of oct. any dog friendly Lodging that is not alot of $$$$....Thanks..

Demopolis, Alabama
Level Contributor
131 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 dogs (Labs)

try terry kay cabins

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
21 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 dogs (Labs)

Hi there! I also have a lab. I did alot of looking around for pet friendly lodging in Gatlinburg. I love to go hiking with my dog. I did find some, but read the fine print. I could not find any that would take a dog weighing more than 35 pounds and many wouldn't take one more than 25 pounds. I also read some info about the Smoky Mountain National Park. There are only 2 short paths on which visitors are allowed to take a dog. Dogs are not allowed in most areas of the park (even on leash). They say that the dog urinating along the path interferes with the natural eco-systems.

I decided that since I can't even take my dog on a leash walk there, there is little point in looking further for pet friendly lodging. What is he going to do while we are sight seeing? Sit in the car? My dog is staying home. :(

Demopolis, Alabama
Level Contributor
131 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 dogs (Labs)

the website is www.terrykaycabins.com i just looked at her policies and it doesnt state there is a weight limit or a limit on how many ,my daughter rents from her when in smokies and she is a local owner and very easy to deal with,her cabins are off of wears valley rd

Ohio
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 dogs (Labs)

Jack,

You could try Artistically Inclined through Jackson Mountain homes. We were considering this, but ended up leaving the puppy home this year. What is nice about it, it has a fenced in yard so you do not have to go out with your dogs. It also is nice to have a yard for them to play in. I found a lot of the dog friendly homes were built on the side of the mountain so there was really no room for them to romp. There is no size limit on this rental and Jackson Mountain has a few more that you might consider. Good luck on your search from another lab lover!

Annie

jacksonmountainhomes.com/book/bookcal.html…

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 dogs (Labs)

Ann, I too am a dog owner but the rules about dogs not being allowed not only protects the area but is also to protect your dog. A dog could take off after a squirrel and become lost. A bear could attack your dog. Here is info from the NPS website:

• Dogs can carry disease into the park's wildlife populations.

• Dogs can chase and threaten wildlife, scaring birds and other animals away from nesting, feeding, and resting sites. The scent left behind by a dog can signal the presence of a predator, disrupting or altering the behavior of park wildlife. Small animals may hide in their burrow the entire day after smelling a dog and may not venture out to feed.

• Dogs bark and disturb the quiet of the wilderness. Unfamiliar sights, sounds, and smells can disturb even the calmest, friendliest, and best-trained dog, causing them to behave unpredictably or bark excessively.

• Pets may become prey for larger predators such as coyotes and bears. In addition, if your dog disturbs and enrages a bear, it may lead the angry bear directly to you. Dogs can also encounter insects that bite and transmit disease and plants that are poisonous or full of painful thorns and burrs.

• Many people, especially children, are frightened by dogs, even small ones. Uncontrolled dogs can present a danger to other visitors.

And here is a link to an article about a pit bull who was loose in a campground and attacked a deer this month:

nationalparkstraveler.com/2009/09/dog-owner-…

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 dogs (Labs)

I've talked with rangers in the park on this subject at length. The actual reason dogs are not allowed on the trails in the park is because dogs and bears are natural mortal enemies and if or when you cross paths with one on the trial your dog and the bear will begin to fight. Typically the results in the pets owner trying to save their pet from the bear then they too then are attacked and badly injured or worse.

These types of encounters almost certainly will at a minimum usually result in the bear being hunted down and killed.

One of the last attacks in the park occurred on the main road through the park between Gatlinburg and Cherokee. A man driving on the road was slowed to a crawl by the crowd of people who had stopped to see and photograph a bear crossing the road. As he approached the bear on the shoulder of the road he rolled down his window to get that shot and his little dog jumped out the window and attached the bear. The man then stopped and tryed to save him and he was (just as the rangers described to me) then attacked.

If the danger to you or your dogs do not prevent you from taking them on the trails in the park consider the danger you are putting the beautiful bears in by doing so.

I hope you come to the area and have a wonderful stay but please do not bring them onto the trails.

Chris

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 dogs (Labs)

I agree, dogs should be left safely at home with family, friends or a kennel.

I was hiking to Grotto Falls where the trail is clearly marked "No Dogs". Must have passed at least 4 people with their dogs. Talked to a Park Ranger along the trail that had to send all of them back down the trail, she told me the same thing about dogs and bear attacks.

People that think rules don't apply to them really is irritating.

I really don't understand why any hotels and cabins would even allow dogs, but I guess that is just me.

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 dogs (Labs)

Wow, I like seeing people who agree the best thing for pets is to leave them at home! Why in the world do people bring them to a strange place then leave them all day. Or bring them down town in crowds where there is no place to go to the bathroom and there are people including children who are very scared of them.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 dogs (Labs)

Many VRBO cabin owners will accept larger pets.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 dogs (Labs)

I did not say I don't bring our dog. I just would not take a dog into the national park or any other situation that would be bad for the dog. We take him, his crate and his toys. He does fine. We don't leave him any longer than we would at home. I could not leave him in a kennel. I could not stand the thought of him being locked up the majority of the day. He also does not eat if we leave him with others so we take him and his crate. He does great. We don't stay in hotels or condos too much anymore because we don't want him barking and disturbing other guests.