We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

favorite picnic area?

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,960 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
favorite picnic area?

So where is your favorite place to throw a blanket and have a picnic?

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: favorite picnic area?

I have to admit that while I love to picnic in the area I haven't 'thrown a blanket' as part of one is a very long time. Perhaps we should do that again. As for picnic areas with tables and such...my favorite just outside of cades cove near the campground. It next to the creek is a great setting. But expect it to be crowded most of the time.

My favorite off the beaten path place is on the rocks at the base of falls on Baskins Creek Trail or the rock outcropping at Charlie's Bunion. Here we usually pack in sandwiches, chips and a little fruit.

Lockport, IL
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: favorite picnic area?

I really like the picnic area at Cades Cove, but my favorite is Chimneys.

Mentioned in this post
Cades Cove
Cades Cove
4,326 Reviews
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,978 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: favorite picnic area?

I think my favorite picnic area is Metcalf Bottom camping area. They have nice picnic tables, with charcoal grills per each table. The view and sounds of the river as you eat is a plus. The parking is quite adequate. And the restroom facilities are good

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: favorite picnic area?

My favorite is along the Cataloochhe Creek on the road to Big Creek. It is a mowed area right on the creek. You may see 5 cars go by the whole time. The creek is crystal clear and so pretty. Throw a blanket and let the world pass by.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: favorite picnic area?

I'd have to say Chimney Tops picnic area for the beauty of the river and rocks there, but if I wanted to tube, I'd say Deep Creek. If you have little tiny kids (under 5) and want to let them wade, then Metcalf Bottoms is a no brainer. Otherwise, any place where there's a river and a flat piece of ground sounds good to me.

Cindy

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: favorite picnic area?

It's pretty far out of the way, but my favorite picnic area is Heintooga, in the Balsam Mountain section of the park. It is so peaceful there, and the temperature is always cool no matter what time of year you visit. There is also an overlook right beside the picnic area with a fantastic mountain view. I love it!

ohio
Level Contributor
110 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: favorite picnic area?

The Chimneys is my favorite. You have your own parking spot right by your table, and own grill. The scenery is beautiful.

We also had a picnic lunch overlooking Lake Fontana. It was beautiful!

Evansville, IN
Level Contributor
271 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: favorite picnic area?

Our favorite thing is to back up the truck to the river some where in Greenbriar or Roaring Fork and eat sitting on the tail gate.

Mentioned in this post
Roaring Fork
Roaring Fork
1,270 Reviews
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
42,634 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: favorite picnic area?

Next to the creek that crosses over Sparks Lane in Cades Cove; just had a picnic lunch there yesterday afternoon.

Mentioned in this post
Cades Cove
Cades Cove
4,326 Reviews
Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
1,328 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: favorite picnic area?

I like the Chimneys Picnic area since you can walk out on the huge river rocks. We always had fun doing this as a kid.

Hope this helps

Mentioned in this post
Chimneys Picnic Area
Chimneys Picnic Area
241 Reviews