We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

highway from interstate

Jacksonville,Ala
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
highway from interstate

What is the status of road repairs on the main drag through Kodac and Sevierville?Would it be better to get on 321 off the interstate and go through Wears Valley? We would be coming from Alabama about 6-7 pm on Friday Oct 9th. thanks

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: highway from interstate

I don't know the current status of the road work but I can tell you that we have timed it going both ways(without construction on Hwy. 66 or I-40). For us the time involved was within five minutes so with any delay or slowdown at all it will probably be quicker to take the Lenoir City exit and come in on Hwy. 321.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: highway from interstate

If I were you and was into town on a Friday evening I'd come in by way of 321 unless you are pulling or driving a large RV. You may be on the late side of the mad rush period comign in around 6-7pm but I still expect it to be really heavy.

The road construction on 66 from out towards I-40 isn't that bad. There were still two lanes open each way but the inside one was pretty bumpy with temporary patches. The work stops where 441/411 come into Sevierville so after that it's unchanged.

Chris

Oneonta, Alabama
Level Contributor
942 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: highway from interstate

With that being a holiday weekend in October, I would suggest getting off at Lenoir City and going through Wear's Valley. The last time we went that weekend, the Friday night arrival traffic was really heavy once we hit Sevierville. We sat in traffic even though it was about 9:00 PM before we got off the interstate.

Lisa

Tombstone, Arizona
Level Contributor
739 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: highway from interstate

Bama: I for one do not like I-40 at night. So, we always come in the back way. We have however found a site that is quite helpful in so far as cameras etc., and that is the Tennessee DOT site. There is a www.TN511.com where you can select different things, including camera views of the area.

Hope your visit is peaceful and uncluttered.

Tombstone, Arizona
Level Contributor
739 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: highway from interstate

Bama: You can also use the TN 511 from your cell, and get some useful information while traveling there.

Good luck on your visit.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,395 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: highway from interstate

Just came through the Kodak/Sevierville/P.F. route from I-40 down Hwy 66 from exit #407 this past Saturday.

There's a lot of construction going on right now on Hwy 66 heading into Sevierville. They have the traffic down to just two lanes on both sides. We got stuck in the traffic jam for about 30 minutes coming in that direction.

Hwy 321 through Lenoir City/Maryville/Townsend would definitely be faster on a Friday evening.

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: highway from interstate

I agree bama, get off at Lenoir City onto 321 through Maryville and Towsend. Take a left and go through Wears Valley if you are staying in PF. Stay on 321 through Townsend to the "Y" and take a left on Little River road if you're going into Gatlinburg. We come up from Chattanooga and always get off at Lenoir City. We'll be coming into Gatlinburg this Sat.

Have a safe trip up and enjoy the vacation. Let's hope it isn't raining all weekend.

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: highway from interstate

I agree bama, get off at Lenoir City onto 321 through Maryville and Towsend. Take a left and go through Wears Valley if you are staying in PF. Stay on 321 through Townsend to the "Y" and take a left on Little River road if you're going into Gatlinburg. We come up from Chattanooga and always get off at Lenoir City. We'll be coming into Gatlinburg this Sat.

Have a safe trip up and enjoy the vacation. Let's hope it isn't raining all weekend.

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: highway from interstate

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: highway from interstate

Yeah, there's three of me, apparently all idiots.................

"Too many freaks, not enough circuses"