We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 2 and still happy to be here!!

Cape Girardeau...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Day 2 and still happy to be here!!

Sorry, but day 2 is getting posted a day late. We've been busy relaxing! We woke up yesterday to a beautiful Smoky Mountain morning. The view from the windows in our cabin is truly picturesque! We rolled out of bed and went directly to our favorite restaurant, The Pancake Pantry. We love it so much that we go there as much as possible and never venture to other pancake houses, though there are many to choose from. We got there at 7:30 so we could park on the Parkway and avoid the lines. Everything was perfect as usual! After our meal we went back to our cabin for catnaps then loaded up our car for an afternoon in the park. My sister-in-law and brother-in-law and their one-year old daughter joined us for a ride through Cades Cove. My in-laws stayed back at the cabin to relax and wait for my other sister-in-law to arrive. There was a 70% chance of rain, but it was clear and sunny most of the day. There were a lot of people in the park, but the traffic was not congested or aggravating. The fall foliage made our drive splendid and our 2-year old and neice napped as we made our way. The girls woke up as we decided to get out and hike up to Abrams Falls. This was an ambitious endeavor since the husbands carried the girls on their backs and since I am about 5 months pregnant! We were all surprised at our strength and endurance as we headed off on the trail. The weather was perfect for hiking, although if it had been more crisp, that would've been fine too. We absolutely love hiking in the Smokies!! It's such a delight to wander along the trails, smelling all of the earthy scents along the way. We enjoyed hiking along the stream, over roots and rocks and fallen leaves. The hike was the perfect blend of leisure and challenge. It's 5 miles round trip and the view of the falls is resplendent. The waterfall was rushing forcefully with much more water than the last trip we made there. The girls loved hiking. I think children are really fascinated by nature! On our way back, we noticed two very adventurous boys who were hiking barefoot!! They did not even look crazy!! After our hike, we drove back through Cades Cove and picked up pizza from Domino's on the way back to the cabin. My sister-in-law had arrived safely and we all slept well last night!! It's such a delight to be here, taking in all of this beautiful nature and restoring ourselves!

Mentioned in this post
Smoky Mountain Cabins
Smoky Mountain Cabins
74 Reviews
Gatlinburg, TN
Pancake Pantry
Pancake Pantry
4,200 Reviews
Gatlinburg, TN
Cades Cove
Cades Cove
4,317 Reviews
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 2 and still happy to be here!!

LOL, "they didn't even look crazy".

B

South Boston...
Level Contributor
855 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 2 and still happy to be here!!

glad to hear you are having a great time, it sounds so beautiful.....I can't wait to get there...6more days!!!!!!!!

thanks for the report....

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 2 and still happy to be here!!

Wow! 5 months preganant and hikinh 5 miles! I am glad you can and got such a lovely hike!

4. Re: Day 2 and still happy to be here!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2010, 05:19