We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easiest way to get to Food City GB from 40??

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lockport, IL
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Easiest way to get to Food City GB from 40??

Hello!

I'm sorry if this question sounds ignorant...I'm geographically challenged!

Is there an easy way to get to the Food City in Gatlinburg coming from 40? We will be coming from 40E, and mapquest says to take exit 407. I have tried searching for bypass directions on this forum, but there are so many different suggestions, I'm so confused on which one is the best??

We typically enjoy taking the Parkway in, but since we are getting there the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, I'm guessing it's going to be packed that afternoon.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

Tara

Portsmouth, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easiest way to get to Food City GB from 40??

If you are going to Gatlinburg is would be better to stay on I-40 until you get to the exit for Route 32 at Newport. Route 32 will run into Route 321 (East Parkway), which will bring you right into Gatlinburg. You will pass the Food City on your way, just before you get to Gatlinburg.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easiest way to get to Food City GB from 40??

Yes the last poster is correct, here are exact directions.

**Exit 435 Newport: RIGHT off of exit, 5.3 miles to stop sign, turn right, 0.1 miles to 321 S, turn LEFT, go 6.6 miles to Larrys Fireworks on right, turn RIGHT, you will still be on 321 South, Gatlinburg is about 18 more miles and Food City is a few miles before you get into Gatlinburg.

Lockport, IL
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easiest way to get to Food City GB from 40??

Thank you both so much!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easiest way to get to Food City GB from 40??

Hi Tara,

Great directions from those above. If the weather is nice and not snowing or icy, plus you have a little extra time, you may want to go a little further on I-40 and get off at exit 443 and travel the Foothills Parkway to Hwy 321. There are some great views of the Smokies along there.

Hopefully, you're like me and (I think) the others. We'd rather drive some extra miles or more just so we can see some great views and not have to sit in bumper to bumper traffic!!

Here's a Google Maps link to that route: http://tinyurl.com/y9u3br3

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,133 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easiest way to get to Food City GB from 40??

If you'd like a more scenic route down to Hwy 321 from I-40 E, stay on I-40 until you reach exit #443 and take the Foothills Parkway down to Hwy 321 instead of getting off at exit #435.

Sevierville...
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Easiest way to get to Food City GB from 40??

Just a tip-exit 435 will be the farthest you can go onto I-40 due to the rock slide, so just be advised that there are detours in effect and the traffic could be a little more hectic than usual. tdot.state.tn.us/rockslide09/maps/local.pdf

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easiest way to get to Food City GB from 40??

Actually I think you can go farther than exit 435, the exits all the way to NC are open to local traffic, so you can still get over to 321 from 440 and 443.

Although if you need to stop at walmart, there is one off of the Newport 435 exit.

Sevierville...
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Easiest way to get to Food City GB from 40??

Local traffic only, I thought meant only residents were allowed on?

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easiest way to get to Food City GB from 40??

No, it means that section of the interstate can only access " local roads" since thru traffic will stop at the rockslide.

I have used exit 443 since the rockslide

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Easiest way to get to Food City GB from 40??

I have always herd and believed it was:

Only drivers going to destinations within the immediate area may enter.

I am wondering now!

Get answers to your questions about Gatlinburg