We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parson Branch road et al....

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SE Indiana
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Topic
Parson Branch road et al....

I'd like some info from someone that has actually driven Parson Branch Road, Rich Mtn.Rd.,Balsam Mtn.Rd., and the [unnamed] Rd. that leads from Cove Creek Rd. North up past Cataloohee to Big Creek.

We're putting a motorcycle ride together and we would like to ride these gravel roads on "cruiser" type motorcycles for a week or so.

Not sure it's possible with stream crossings- are there bridges or are we gonna get out feet wet?

We realize that we'll have to "float" our ride date in because we'll need DRY weather for dry roads and un swollen streams...any info appreciated and those with bikes are more than welcome to join up!

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Parson Branch road et al....

Of the roads you mentioned only Parson Branch has stream crossings.

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parson Branch road et al....

We did cross one small stream last April on Rich Mt Road heading up towards the summit.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parson Branch road et al....

I've been on Rich Mountain, Cataloochee, Mt. Sterling, and Heigntooga Bottoms roads and the stream crossings always included bridges. :)

Florida
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parson Branch road et al....

We did Parsons Road for the first time in October of this year...We took a chance in our car...boy I was scared when we first entered but hubby and son made it so fun! We even recorded a few minutes of the drive and passing the "wet" bridges..and there are alot of them.

I'm pretty sure hubby would looove to drive through that road again...in his bike!

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parson Branch road et al....

I've driven all of these, many of them several times, and the only one where you will need to worry about getting your feet wet is Parson Branch.

I'm sure you know this already, but some of these roads close seasonally. Here's a link to see the specific closure dates: nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/seasonalroads.htm

Happy planning!

SE Indiana
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Parson Branch road et al....

THANKS for the REPLIES!

We're just wanting to do something "different" than riding the "dragon" and thought maybe some quality time on gravel wold stirr up the grey matter...

It'll definitely be AFTER the Spring rainy season...

I'll resurrect this topic closer to the time we go, so that others might join in if they'd like to ride along.

I'm sure the roads I mentioned would be passable on dual sports, but it's about 300 mi for us to get to G'burg...too old for that backside beating...Cruiser/tourer trip for us!

Louisville,Ky.
Level Contributor
285 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parson Branch road et al....

I don't know if you're aware but they are putting the finishing touches on a bike week in Gatlinburg for probably the third week of May next year. Vendors are going to set up at the Convention Center and Gatlinburg is taking the unprecedented step of closing two streets(at least) just for bikes. They've never closed streets down for anyone before. They are working too with city leaders to get an amendment to the open container law. Word is local government is really behind this....should be a fun time.

Hokes Bluff, AL
Level Contributor
145 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parson Branch road et al....

The main strip area starting at light 6 was closed all day earlier this year for the rib and wing fest. If I remember correctly it was in May.

SE Indiana
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Parson Branch road et al....

No, K..51, I didn't know they were going to do a "bike week"...sounds interesting! I know that Cherokee has a bike weekend a couple of times a year.

I'd probably ride down in May and see what's happenening, but I'm more into riding than (into) the whole"biker week" thing.{IF I come down I'm riding something liquid cooled and bringing a 1/2 shell Bell...Man that parkway will be a sitting snarl!}

At Daytona last year I put about 1200 mi on during bike week-only hit mainstreet maybe 2x the whole week...lol

Thanks for the Heads Up!

SE Indiana
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Parson Branch road et al....

I called theG'burg chamber of Commerece yesterday and asked about a Bike Week type event in G'burg in May...I couldn't find anybody that had heard there was anything planned/being planned.

The did tell me about Rumble in the Hills- Ap30-May2 centered around the Grand Hotel in PF tx 800.251.4444 for details I guess.