We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

back from our "short but sweet" trip

Lorain, Ohio
Level Contributor
852 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
back from our "short but sweet" trip

hey everybody "happy new year"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we just got back this morning about 4 a.m. from our trip to the smokies

WoW......... I could'nt believe the traffic coming into Sevierville/ PF on NY eve we were in bumper to bumper traffic after we got off of I-40 for about 2 and 1/2 hours until we got to the hotel in Gatlinburg.

we checked into the garden plaza hotel on historic nature trail rd around 5p.m. after about 9 hrs of driving,

the people at check-in were very friendly and it went smooth and quickly, after we got settled in we walked up the street to have dinner at the mexican restaurant I believe its called los rancheros, the food was excellant, I had the 4 taquitos dinner and DH had the fajitas they were both really good, we only waited about 5 min for a seat which I thought was great considering the people and traffic in the area.

after dinner we walked back to the hotel we were both kinda wanted to relax a bit before we went out for the fireworks, about 11pm we walked down the street and found a spot to people watch and wait for the fireworks, after being stuck in that traffic for so long neither of us wanted to be in the middle of that crowd so we watched from up the street. the fireworks were very nice and we enjoyed the evening.

we stayed up pretty late 1am and got up to go to breakfast at the log cabin pancake house right up the street from the hotel, we had to wait about 20 min. outside to get a seat, it was about 12pm but the food was great, my hubby says he has found his new favorite breakfast spot....

we were both tired from the night before so we thought we would relax a bit before going out which turned into a 3 hour nap.... after which we both decided to just come home about 6:30pm, we had planned on leaving early today so we could get back to get our dogs, after our nap we just decided to leave early...

the hotel was very kind at check-out and seemed to be worried about if they had done something to cause us to want to leave early, which I was suprised they even asked, so I explained why we decided to leave early.

the garden plaza hotel was nice, nothing fancy but the room was clean and it was suprisingly quiet for the amount of teens we saw coming in and out , if I needed a place in that area again I would stay there.

over all a nice trip....6 more months and counting!!!!!!!!!!! lol !!!!!!!!!!

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,833 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: back from our "short but sweet" trip

I've stayed at motels in PF & cabins in Townsend. We've never stayed in G-burg. Where exactly is the motel you stayed at located? Were the room rates reasonable for this time of year?

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
684 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: back from our "short but sweet" trip

I think it's the old Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort. I think... We stayed there once a couple years ago, and it was a nice place then. We enjoyed it then. That is the only place we have ever stayed at that we saw a bear. We thought it was cool. But I think we scared the bear more than it scared us!

Lorain, Ohio
Level Contributor
852 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: back from our "short but sweet" trip

its down at the other end of historic nature trail rd from the space needle,

we could have stood in front of the hotel to see the fireworks but we wanted to people watch too.

its about 4 tenths of a mile from the needle and I think it is the old holiday inn sunspree.

you know I never even thought about seeing any bears, that would have been cool!!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
83 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: back from our "short but sweet" trip

How were the prices @ the Log Cabin? What did you pay?

Lorain, Ohio
Level Contributor
852 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: back from our "short but sweet" trip

it was around $20 for both of us before tip,

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: back from our "short but sweet" trip

i hate you had to drive 9 hours to stay 1 night, but hey when you really want something you do what ya have to do.

Lorain, Ohio
Level Contributor
852 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: back from our "short but sweet" trip

it really would only have been around 6 hrs (we were coming from Va.) except we got into that traffic coming in and that took an additional 2and 1/2 hrs. but we had a really great time and we don't usually have time off this time of year so we were just glad to be able to come there for new years.

8. Re: back from our "short but sweet" trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2010, 05:17