We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotels

NY
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
205 reviews
Save Topic
hotels

Hi, I have never been to Gatlinburg. Where do I want to stay, on River Road, or Parkway to be in the middle of everything, so I can walk along "the strip" if there is one?

Thank you

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotels

The parkway is kind of "the strip" and there is not a right or wrong answer as to where to stay everybody has kind of a difference of opinions but we prefer river road or the upper end of the strip. Pretty much the whole city is within walking distance if your in good shape. River road runs parallel to the parkway so your 1 block from it all but yet far enough away for it to be quiet and several of the hotels on river road have balconies over the river. There are not alot of 4 star hotels in Gburg so it kind of depends on what your looking for in a hotel. There is a great website that will give you a virtual tour down the parkway and some of the side streets including river rd. thegreatsmokeymountainsparkway.com/_map/gatl…

riverhouse motor lodge is one of our favorites , There is a new hilton Garden inn that just opened a few months ago. The Hampton inn and Clarion is on the parkway near the park entrance so it's a little quieter and easier to get in and out of.

NY
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotels

Oh , thanks a million for such a quick answer. I'm going to check out the site you gave me. I appreciate the info.

alabama
Level Contributor
116 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotels

My family and I loved Rodeway Inn Skyland. It was very inexpensive ( about 40.00 a night), very nice and not very far at all from the strip. Big rooms, beautiful mountain views from some of the rooms (just request way in advance) and had a nice pool too.

alabama
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: hotels

For a good deal, Bearskin Lodge is a nice place. Small hotel like lodge. Never had problems with them.

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotels

I like the Hampton Inn and also the Fairfield Inn on River Rd. All the rooms at the Fairfield have private balconies overlooking the river and the hotel is really quiet since it's not on the Parkway and it's on the corner of a side street so just takes a few minutes to walk up to the Parkway. The Hampton Inn has balconies over looking the creek but you have to specify a creekside room or the other building's balconies overlook the parking lot. :o( I recently stayed at Johnson's Inn and while it wasn't my favorite hotel (but most people love it), it is in an excellent location just a short block off the Parkway at light #6. As previously posted, most of the hotels downtown are not super fancy because they are older but I'm sure you'll find something you like . Check out the reviews of the hotels on here because sometimes that can help in making a decision on where to stay.

NY
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotels

Thank you all so much. I don't really want a balcony. I have had a few bad experiences with bug issues, and I can't sleep if I get bugs in my room, so I prefer inside hallways. I was looking into the fairfield property on parkway. It looks decent, I need to do some more checking. Again, Thank you.

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
1,270 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotels

HI,

I would recommend the Johnson's INN. It is where we stayed last summer & plan on staying there again this summer. It is only a block or two off the parkway. It is close to the back entrance of the Village shops and the Aquarium. Plus the walk from the hotel to the parkway is not very steep, so that is enticing. They are situated on Baskins Creek, so you can sit out on the community patio next to the creek if you want. Sometimes there are ducks in the creek. Our room was on the 2nd floor of the building closest to the office. It had an interior hallway and had a private balcony patio. The bottom floor faced front into the parking lot, so no interior hallway on the 1st floor. We had a wonderful stay here & would recommend it.

Here is a link to my review with LOTS of photos if you are interested:

tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

As others said, MANY of the hotels are within walking distance of the "strip" (parkway). River road is only one street over from the parkway..so many of the hotels on river road are close to the main "strip". If you choose a hotel that is up Historic Nature Trail, you should know that the walk is on an incline. I used to stay all the way at the top of Historic Nature Trail at the Sidney James. The walk was ok for us, but my Mom had some trouble with the incline and distance. However, it should be noted that there is a trolley system that runs around town & stops in front of many of the hotels. So, even if you don't get a hotel right downtown...you can use the trolley system IF you don't want to walk the distance.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip!!

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotels

The only thing that's bad about the Fairfield Inn North is that it's a fairly good walk to the heart of the shopping area if you planned on walking from your hotel to the shops. . It can be done , but I think it's kinda far but then I'm not in good walking shape. It's definitely not in the "middle of everything".....just my opinion but it does look like a nice hotel and it's newer than most of the hotels in town. It's just as you come into Gatlinburg on the left if you are coming from Pigeon Forge.

If you don't like bugs, I wouldn't pick Johnson's Inn. I had some in the bathroom when I stayed there in Oct and there was a space under the door where where they could easily come in. My building did not have interior hallways.

Hope you find what your are looking for and have a great trip to Gatlinburg!

9. Re: hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 January 2010, 21:35
NY
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotels

Thank you everyone for your replys. I did want to be in the center of things, but the trolley will work for me I think. We like newer places (people laugh and call me the cookie cutter type), but it's what makes me comfortable, so that is why I was thinking the fairfield. I have some time, yet, so I'll keep checking out everything, and checking peoples photos of the places. Again, many thanks.