We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Smokies this March-April

Chicago
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The Smokies this March-April

Hey all, noticed on the forums and on the NP website that several major road closures will take place. I'd like to know if there's anyway to still see the attractions (cades cove, newfound gap etc) without the roads being in service? are there alternate means of getting there via trails (that aren't affected by the closure) and such?

Thanks!

michigan
Level Contributor
205 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Smokies this March-April

Road closures? haven't seen this, will be there over Easter, anyone have info on this?

Chicago
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: The Smokies this March-April

yes indeed...apparently major road works will be going on. map and dates are here: nps.gov/grsm/…road-facility-improvments.htm

i'd really appreciate it if anyone who is familiar with the park could help me out about this cos I'd like to make a decision about going to the Smokies soon. If the road closure means that we're unable to see cades cove and newfoundgap and other major sites of interest, we'd probably not go this march.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Smokies this March-April

I'm also concerned about the road closures as it will be my first visit. Can someone tell me if closing these roads severely limits access to the rest of the park. (I realize we won't see Cades Cove etc.) but what I cannot figure out is if you need to go on these roads to access the rest of the park. Thanks for your help. I was planning to make reservations today.....so your answers will be really helpful.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,055 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Smokies this March-April

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143031-i2563-k331…

Follow the above link for some pros and cons

Oneonta, Alabama
Level Contributor
942 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Smokies this March-April

This website may help you get a better idea of the layout of the park and where the areas are with road closings. There are still lots of things to see in the National Park- the areas may not be as popular as Cades Cove, but are just as beautiful, in my opinion.

http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/

My family enjoys the Greenbrier area of the park more than the loop of Cades's Cove. You will see that the road closures don't affect that many of the trails in the park.

Mentioned in this post
Cades Cove
Cades Cove
4,326 Reviews
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Smokies this March-April

The link to the forum topic was a great help...(i follow this forum regularly...how I missed that, I'll never know!) And the hiking in the smokies URL is excellent. Both posts made me think what my priorities are in visiting the Smokies. As long as I can hike moderate trails and see lots of waterfalls, I would be completely happy! Thanks SO much for your help....now I hope the cabin I have my eye on is still available!

7. Re: The Smokies this March-April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2010, 07:16