We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

second rockslide on southbound spur

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sevierville TN
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Topic
second rockslide on southbound spur

there was another rockslide today there. haven't heard how bad it is, but I do know it's really messing up everyone getting into gatlinburg right now. it's south of the current detour.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: second rockslide on southbound spur

Oh my Heavens!! Another!! Unbelievable!

taylorsmommi
Level Contributor
663 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: second rockslide on southbound spur

This is unreal... why so many rockslides all of a sudden? Wonder if there is movement in the earth somewhere, isn't there a fault line in Tennessee? Maybe the rain can be blamed, but there has been rain in the past. Where is this exactly?

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: second rockslide on southbound spur

Wow....that's terrible! I was hoping to get to go back down there later this year and get a cabin for the first time but now I'm kinda scared to be up on a hill with all these recent rock slides! Wonder how long that road will be closed now?

Lorain, Ohio
Level Contributor
852 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: second rockslide on southbound spur

it does make you wonder about those cabins perched up on the side of those mountains.

I hope no one was hurt and they can get it cleaned up soon, its not much fun to sit in that traffic when its slow...

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: second rockslide on southbound spur

Well, according to a website that shows daily activity from earthquakes around the world, there was one in Eastern TN this morning at 6:21am centered in Cleveland ,TN but it was sooooooo tiny that I can't imagine that having anything to do with it. The magnitude was only 1.2. I just hope no one was hurt from this slide.

Edited: 05 February 2010, 21:15
Maryville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: second rockslide on southbound spur

the rock slides are a natural occuring event. these are not hard quartz mountains but mountains with lots of cracks, crags, nooks, and crannies.

the water from the rain/moisture seeps into the rocks and then freezes expanding the rocks and forming cracks. taht can only happen so long before there are slides. and this past full year we have had a lot of rain. i wouldn't be surprised at all to see more before spring time.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,742 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: second rockslide on southbound spur

What a mess, i also read that new found gap and cades cove road has been closed because of downed trees. If it's not one thing it's another. I hope we can get there next weekend.

http://yoursmokies.blogspot.com/

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: second rockslide on southbound spur

Are you talking about the one in Maggie Valley or another one?

Maryville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: second rockslide on southbound spur

the two rockslides which are on the spur between gatlinburg and pigeon forge

Tombstone, Arizona
Level Contributor
703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: second rockslide on southbound spur

From the Tenn. DOT site, traffic is being rerouted to the Northbound route, as the normal southbown route is impeded by slides.

Also, if you get into the TN. DOT site, there is an abundance of information on road closures in the area.