We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for a quick hike while in town for a conference

Abilene, Texas
Level Contributor
82 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
looking for a quick hike while in town for a conference

I will be in Gatlinburg next weekend for a conference. My time will be mostly filled with meetings--but I just can't stand going all the way there and not hiking anywhere.

One afternoon I am going to Pigeon Forge for a meeting. After that I hope I can slip away for an hour or so for a quick hike.

What hiking location would you recommend? Strenuous is fine--I'll probably just hike part of the trail anyway.

I guess a trail in between PF and Gatlinburg, or one very close to Gatlinburg, would be best.

Thank you!!

Franklin, Kentucky
Level Contributor
222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for a quick hike while in town for a conference

If we're pressed for time, we like to do some of the hikes around the Sugarlands Visitor Center (near the Gatlinburg entrance of the park). I personally like the one to Cataract Falls.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for a quick hike while in town for a conference

Hi carrie62,

I agree with joshwtuttle. You can easily combine the hike to Cataract Falls along with the Fighting Creek Nature Trail. You can pick up a self-guided brochure for the Fighting Creek Nature Trail at the trailhead of both hikes behind the Visitors Center.

If you have time, you may want to start out with the Gatlinburg Trail from Gatlinburg to the Visitors Center. You could combine all three trails into one.

…nps.gov/grsm/…gatlinburg-trail.htm

Bob

taylorsmommi
Level Contributor
663 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for a quick hike while in town for a conference

I agree, Cataract falls is a great little hike and you still get to see a waterfall! :o)

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
1,275 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for a quick hike while in town for a conference

Cataract Falls is a nice short hike--as mentioned--behind the Sugarlands Visitor Center. It is mostly flat and really easy. The falls are small, but still worth a peek.

If you want a little longer trail--try Laurel Falls trail--just a few miles from Sugarlands on Little River Rd. You will see a larger waterfall on this trail. It took us about 1 hour to do the trail roundtrip.

Hope this helps!

5. Re: looking for a quick hike while in town for a conference

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2010, 07:18