We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All costs & fees involved

Atlanta
Level Contributor
79 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
All costs & fees involved

Can someone give me a rundown of ALL costs/fees involved with both cabin rentals and hotels so I can make an educated decision on which would be the best route to go to save the most amount of money.

We aren't planning to make most of our food and we would have possibly 4 adults (2 adults for sure with 2 young children) and if we have a total of 6 would be looking for a 2 bdrm place.

Thanks! It would really help with my planning :)

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All costs & fees involved

There is no easy answer to that question, as each cabin company is different.

Most motels will just have tax added, maybe a parking fee.

Tax will be 12.75% (in Gatlinburg)

You will just have to check with individual companies for their fees.

some do not have any additional fees.

Some have different fees:

Reservation

hot tub

cleaning

pet

additional persons

Good Luck

Tennessee
Level Contributor
758 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All costs & fees involved

If you rent a cabin you would have more room. Actually its someone's vacation home. Most are individually owned but a rental company rents them out. Most companies won't rent one out for less than a 2 or 3 night stay. All companies charges are different. Most charge a cleaning fee and that is based upon how big the cabin is or how many people were in it. Some charge a ($20. or more) processing fee, again this is based upon the company. Then don't forget about that tax. Tennessee tax is 9.75% (food is a little less) this depends on where you are at in the state. Then you will have that lodging tax (same with a motel) I think its around 12% Now with a motel, if 6 people go, you would have to rent 2 rooms, keep that in mind. Unless you get a room that is a suite and has a fold out couch (probably be more expensive) I'm thinking you could probably get a room up there for around $50. a night. (this depends on what month you go) Couple years ago, my friend and her teenage daughter went up there in July, stayed 4 nights and a motel room cost them just a little over $200. but it was a older motel, she said it was nothing fancy, just a room 2 beds and a TV. Good luck and hope this helps some.

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All costs & fees involved

sesky...It really depends on your chouice of cabin compnay. Most cabin companies, although not all, may or may not charge for 1 or more of the following: all fees are an estimate from my experiences

1. Reservation Fee - sometimes $25

2. Cleaning Fee - sometimes as much as $50 to $150 depedning on cabin size

3. Hot tub cleaning Fee - $25- $50 (not a very common fee)

4. Additional people - $10-$15 per person..usually with private cabins (due to cleaning of extra room, beds, etc)

At the hotels you simply have the cost of your room, and sometimes may pay extra for breakfast, but not at most places.

Yes the cabins due tend to cost a bit more if only going as a couple, but I think if a family travels, or a group of people and is needing more than one hotel room, it is cheaper usually to get a cabin even with the fees. Just shop around, there are alot of great deals going on now. Plus with a cabin you have use of a kitchen, which is great for a family. Less money spent eating out, and all the comforts of home.

Some hotels in Pigeon Forge and Seveirville are running really cheap prices right now, so that may be an option for you depending on your financial needs, and location needs.

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All costs & fees involved

If you are on a tight budget and need a kitchen and 2 bedroom Rodeway inn Skyland have a few rooms like this and they are resonable. It's not the hilton but, clean and the price is good.

http://www.rodewayinngatlinburg.com/

HTH

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,769 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All costs & fees involved

The Rivers-edge hotel also has some suites with kitchens, it's right in town and would save $$ on parking.

http://www.riveredgemotorlodge.com/

Also think of a condo they sometimes don't have as many fee's as a cabin.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
79 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All costs & fees involved

Thanks ALL for your much needed and valuable input!! That really helped a LOT :)

I'm leaning more and more towards just settling for a good ole' nice hotel since we are on a tight budget. We are looking to spend max about $150/night with all taxes, surcharges and whatever else included so HOPEFULLY we are able to get something quite decent even for that amount.

We are thinking of staying for about 3 nights (1 weekday and 2 weekend nights) but a lot of places are either already booked for 1 or more of the nights we want and for the price we can afford :( We are looking at the second week in April so don't know if I'm really running out of a variety of options since it is just around the corner??

Any other recommendations???

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All costs & fees involved

So are you coming for 3 night starting April 9 and need a place for 6? I can check a few places for ya,

Atlanta
Level Contributor
79 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All costs & fees involved

Do you work at the Rodeway Inn, SweetiePie?

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All costs & fees involved

No, but we usually stay there. Did you want a kitchen or just a microwve and fridge?

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All costs & fees involved

Another option for a larger room would be to check into the Mountain House Motor Inn. They have 1 apartment type room that has 2 bedrooms, living room, diningroom, kitchen, 2 baths, and a bonus room/closet that has a set of bunk beds in it (no window-which is why I say closet-very small) but the price is always really good, and the location is about 1 1/2 blocks behind The Village.

also maybe even look into a condo. I have never rented one, so cannot offer advice, but it may be an option for your budget and space requirements.