We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to propose?

Detroit
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to propose?

I will be coming to the area 4/17 and trying to decide where to propose to my girlfriend. I was thinking grotto falls but with the road closures not sure I will be able to make it there. Any ideas?

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to propose?

I picture blue sky and warm weather. Take a drive thru the park and stop at the Chimney Tops Picnic area. Park and walk down to the river, climb on some rocks. Sits together on the biggest one after walking up river a little bit for some privacy. Some of the boulders are big enough that you could even get down on one knee. Best Wishes! What great memories where ever you decide.

Oneonta, Alabama
Level Contributor
942 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to propose?

A horse drawn carriage ride through areas of the park sounds romantic to me. Here's a link:

smokymountainmemories.com/horseandcarriage.h…

Lisa

Tennessee
Level Contributor
758 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to propose?

I would say at the top of Clingmans Dome. Best Wishes!! :)

Great Smoky...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to propose?

I would second on top of Clingman's Dome =) SO romantic!!!!!!!!!!!

Charleston
Level Contributor
222 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to propose?

If you guys like to hike, I'd go to the Chimney Tops and hike to the top. The VERY top is not a very big area, and you pretty much are sitting up there. There is probably the best 360 degree view of the mountains from the very top. That would be a perfect spot.

Raymond

http://gosmoky.wordpress.com

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to propose?

I vote Clingmans Dome to!

Horse and Carriage Ride would be nice if it really went into the park, but I do not think it goes there.

Florida
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to propose?

Another vote for the top of Clingman's Dome. Or the scenic overlook on the G'burg By-Pass road. Or somewhere in Cades Cove. One of the churches, or next to the Cantilievered Barn. Take a drive on the Roaring Fork Motor Trail at sunset. You'll find the "perfect" spot!

Good luck! Let us know what she says!!

Pembroke Pines...
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to propose?

Sorry guys, but according to the NPS, Clingman's Dome road, Cades cove loop and Roaring Fork will all be closed until mid to late May.

nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

The two-way portion of Roaring Fork motor nature trail appears that it will be open at the time of your visit, so Rainbow Falls trailhead will be accessible if you are looking for a waterfall spot. It's longer hike, but not a difficult one, IMO.

If you like to hike and are looking for a "top of the mountain" spot, then taking the AT from Newfound Gap to Charlie's Bunion is a scenic hike and a great spot if the weather is clear. The higher altitude trails are reported to be difficult now due to snow cover and winter tree blowdowns, but I would think that would be cleared off by mid-April. It may still be quite chilly up there, though.

If you REALLY like hiking and want the mountain-top spot, then I'd take Alum Cave trail up to the top of Mt Leconte where there are some spectacular lookout points near the Lodge. :-)

It really depends on what kind of setting you feel is romantic -- waterfall? Secluded spot by a mountain stream? At the mountain top? The easier and popular trails can be quite busy, and it will be harder to find a private spot, if that's important to you.

Best wishes to you!!

Edited: 26 March 2010, 11:02
Brunson
Level Contributor
305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to propose?

What a lucky girl, she gets a marriage proposal in the Smokies!!! Anywhere in the national park would be romantic, not to mention the Roaring Fork and Cades Cove that will be closed during that time. There are some nice spots out in Wears Valley, Townsend, and Glades Community. You'll be nervous, but you'll know when you see the perfect spot. If you are planning on staying a couple days, visit several areas and watch her to see what area/sight makes her smile and look relaxed......that may be her favorite spot.....then mention a trip back there and ask her!!

Great Smoky...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to propose?

Well then I would go with the senic over look it is so nice up there mabey at night with the stars out moon overlooking the mountains........