We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question time....

gatlinburg, TN
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Topic
Question time....

What are the top 2 or 3 things you want and require in making a decision to rent a cabin/chalet in the area? (outside of availablilty)

As many of you know, I am one of several owners of properties on this site and we appreciate your input and suggestions. I have learned a great deal form your responses and Thank you.

Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Question time....

As a former cabin rental owner and now a resident of Gatlinburg the #1 problem I had was keeping our cabin clean to our standards. I have an idea I would like to run by you. Please email me at zane0913@aol.com

Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question time....

I just reserved one in Black Bear Falls - cleanliness, furnishings (pool table/hot tub), and mountain view were at the top of our list. Followed closely by # of full baths. I like that is is fairly new - age doesn't bother me, but it needs to clean and kept in good condition.

We rented an old chalet 3 years ago, and were disappointed. Moldy bathroom needed repair and new caulk. Vinyl flooring had tears. Shaggy, dark carpet was gross. It's the small things that can really turn you off.

Middletown Ohio
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Question time....

The top three things we look for are:

that the unit be CLEAN

that it has a king size bed

that it is pet friendly

Of course, price and location are important but we will pay more to have the things we consider important.

There are more and more pet owners who choose to travel with their pets, not because we don't want to pay to have them boarded, but because we prefer to have them with us. And those of us who are responsible owners clean up after our pets both inside and out. We always take a small vacuum to be sure that we don't cause any extra problems for the cleaning crews. And we don't object to reasonable pet fees.

This may be more than you wanted to know but thought I would add my two cents worth.

gatlinburg, TN
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Question time....

Good stuff...I hear you and so do others!

Keep it coming. Things...they are a changing!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Question time....

I agree with all of the above except for the pet friendly units. Unfortunatly I am very allergic to dogs. I would love to have one, as would my kids. But even if they have been in the room and are now gone, the dander or something aggravates my allergies:(. We look for cabins that have bedroom suites with their own bath and tv. And we like the king size bed.

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question time....

I think the most important things are clean and location.

Bloomington, Indiana
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Question time....

I like for the furniture and also decorations to be modern, or at least up to date. We have stayed at some places that look like they are from the 70s!!

Cleveland Ohio
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Question time....

Well, it seems that clean is a given. But also number of baths(we just don't do 1 bathroom even for the 2 of us)

King size beds, for us pool table etc isn't important at all.

Nice size jacuzzis in the cabin are nice. We have stayed in some that the jacuzzi was big enough for 4(of course we didn't use it that way;o) and then some, that were described as for 2 and it really would only fit my 10yr old!

Updated furnishings, including mattresses!

When they get shabby or used looking, its time to go!

Shreveport, LA
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Question time....

I can answer this one real good. I hunted months for a cabin before I recently went up there. I wanted a nice view but away from traffic. I also wanted to have all the necessities like cable, cooking supplies, hot tub, grill. I wanted our cabin to look like a log cabin. I wanted the interior to look rich and comfortable. Not your everyday couch that you can sit on at home. Something nice. I likes that this cabin had 3 levels in which evry level had it's own private bedroom w/ private bathroom. I didn't want to feel as though all the guest were on top of each other. The pool table was very nice. They had a very cheesy grill though. Pay the extra money for a gas grill. Many people replied in their guest book that the grill in which was like the grill when you go to a park sucked. MAKE sure you offer plenty of pictures so that someone can really see what the interior and exterior look like. If you have any other questions let me know. paigelee69@hotmail.com

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question time....

When we were looking for a cabin I was looking for those that offered ammenities like pool tables etc. Queen and King beds were a plus.

Location and cleanliness were also very important but when researching over the internet those things are not easy to know until you get there. We were lucky, ours worked out perfectly.

A beautiful view, rather city lights or Mt. LeConte, is a plus.

But, the previous poster mentioned the grill...I would have to say that our grill was the only thing we were not impressed with. It was two small grills, like you would see in a park, side by side. It was rather amazing with all the other amenities and the gorgeous cabin that the grills would be so cheesy.