We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We are leaving Friday morning for the mountains!

Aurora,KY
Level Contributor
528 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
We are leaving Friday morning for the mountains!

My husband & I have planned a last minute trip to the Smokies and we will be there from Friday until Monday. We are staying at the Riverhouse Motor Lodge and I am really looking forward to that because I have always wanted to stay there but we usually go in the fall and the rates are higher. I know we are going to the Arts & Crafts at the Convention Center especially since it is FREE but we still haven't planned anything else. I think I want to go to Sunrise services at Ober Gatlinburg but husband is not sure. We have to change our usual spots due to the road closings but I will be so glad to be in the mountains and this is the first time we have been there in the Spring. I had major back surgery a couple of years ago and another neck surgery this past January and unfortunately I have had some really bad back pain this week but I am taking my walker and cane and will just take my time. Looks like the weather is going to be great and I don't mind if it rains anyway. If anybody knows about some special things going on this weekend please let me know.

Linda

Ocean Springs...
Level Contributor
127 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We are leaving Friday morning for the mountains!

Have fun, Linda! Be sure to give us a trip update when you get back.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We are leaving Friday morning for the mountains!

Have a great trip, and I hope you feel better soon!

Gainesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: We are leaving Friday morning for the mountains!

I hope you have a great trip!! I bet the weather will be wonderful!!! :)

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,805 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We are leaving Friday morning for the mountains!

I am so excited for you, Riverhouse is our favorite place but sometimes we can't stay becasue they have alot of minimum night stays that's more than we can get away for.

Let me know about the Easter service at Ober, I am not familiar with it.

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We are leaving Friday morning for the mountains!

Have a great trip Linda!

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: We are leaving Friday morning for the mountains!

Have you seen the old abandoned cabins at Elkmont?

Foothills Parkways?

Aurora,KY
Level Contributor
528 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We are leaving Friday morning for the mountains!

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and you to Brad for my "Get Well" wishes. It was 87 degrees when we went through Townsend this afternoon around 2:30 p.m. I thought it was going to rain tomorrow but the girl at the front desk said that has all changed. This room is great and very big and the bathroom has been remodeled. We had to get a smoking room because that was all they had left and I have to admit I was worried about the smell. Actually the woodburning fireplace left more of a smell then the cigarettes plus I brought a lot of room deodorizer with us. We are also keeping the door open as much as possible to let in fresh air.

We sit out on the balcony and watched the ducks and people. We went up to the Convention Center to check on the Arts & Craft show but it was so hot walking the strip and my back was not doing too good so we made it a quick trip. The arts & craft show was free which was nice and they didn't have as much as they do in October but there where some different things which I enjoyed seeing. We came back down to the room and sit out on the deck for awhile then decided to go over to Food City and pick up some snacks. We weren't really hungry tonight because we had had a late lunch so we are taking it easy tonight. The girl at the check-in was very nice and talked a lot about all the snow they had had here this year. The river is running pretty swift which makes for some nice sounds to sleep by.

tk my husband doesn't think I can get up early enough for the sunrise service at Ober so we will see. He also didn't like the way the tram was loaded so heavy today when we drove under it so he might chicken out on me. I told him we had taken it before but he swears it wasn't that crowded??? We have seen the cabins at Elkmont but I am not sure if we have been on the Foothills Pkway so we might give it a try tomorrow. I don't think I will be doing much walking but I will give it my best shot. I think I am just going to take it easy tonight and enjoy the sounds of the river and the lights of Gatlinburg. I already got my Real Estate magazine and started dreaming.

Linda

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We are leaving Friday morning for the mountains!

Thanks for your report on your day today Linda! It sure got quite warm there today, huh? I hope your back gets to feeling better so you can enjoy more of your trip. And I understand about your husband being worried about the tram. I always get really nervous riding in that thing when it has alot of people on it. I hope you are enjoying the wonderful spring weather there and the sounds of the stream!

Aurora,KY
Level Contributor
528 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We are leaving Friday morning for the mountains!

Hi Deputy I can't sleep but I am sitting here by the window and listening to the sounds of the river. I couldn't believe how warm it got here today. The weather lady said it got to 84 in Knoxville today and there is a chance of some rain tomorrow late afternoon and temperatures a little cooler but that will be okay with me. This room is really nice and we have so much space to move around. There is dark paneling but I can handle that when I have this much room. I have wanted to stay here for so many years so I am really happy.

I think we will take the Foothill Parkway tomorrow out of Townsend. We have already done the one out of Cosby but I am still checking everything out on the computer and try and have a schedule for my husband in the morning. I could just stay here in the room and on the deck and relax because my life has been pretty hectic lately and this trip is just what I needed IF I can rest. I will try and keep you all updated while we are here.

Linda

10. Re: We are leaving Friday morning for the mountains!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2010, 05:17