We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Places To Buy Live Bait

Ocean Springs...
Level Contributor
127 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Best Places To Buy Live Bait

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best places to buy live bait in the area? And also any ideas on where to take a toddler "fishing?" I understand she probably would be most interested in splashing in the water, so areas with a combo of shallow/safe areas to play and a nice place for Dad to fish would be great.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Places To Buy Live Bait

I asked about fishing in the Cherokee forum and someone said they would recommend going to Big Dons on Big Cove Road. He has a good selection and a lifetime of knowledge fishing the area.Now this would be in Cherokee not sure where to buy bait etc in Gatlinburg.Glad you asked this question.I would also like to know about Gatlinburg bait shops too.

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Places To Buy Live Bait

I do not remember any where to buy live bait!

Make sure you are allowed to use live bait where you fish! Yes, there are many places that you can not use it.

Have you ever seen the bait machines that look like a Pepsi machine? I saw them in KY.

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Places To Buy Live Bait

Some info: allsmokymountainvacations.com/fishing.html

I guess you could call the places that sell the licenses.

There is a bait shop listed in Seymour at that site.

Some more good info: www.covemountain.com/localinfo/fishing.asp

Might want to try a fishing forum site to.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Places To Buy Live Bait

I am not really sure of the live bait issue in Gatlinburg but just as you go into PF there is a gas station/store on the right that sales bait. Gatlinburg has a pretty good stocking program and a couple of sections which are for kids and seniors only. In Gatlinburg according to some older regulations I have it says that any type of bait may be used. If you don't find any live bait try some canned corn. It looks like the food they feed them at the hatcher.

You can google Gatlinburg Trout Fishing and find some informtion on the subject.

John

Detroit
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Places To Buy Live Bait

Here is a link to fishing Gatlinburg there are a few child only parts of the stream listed there www.gatlinburg-tennessee.com/fishing.php

As far as bait I know it sounds funny but I have been fishing down there since 1983 and have used nothing but corn from the can.

Detroit
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Places To Buy Live Bait

Here is a link to fishing Gatlinburg there are a few child only parts of the stream listed there www.gatlinburg-tennessee.com/fishing.php

As far as bait I know it sounds funny but I have been fishing down there since 1983 and have used nothing but corn from the can.

Edited: 13 April 2010, 18:26
Tennessee
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Places To Buy Live Bait

morguegurl I got some very good info on the Cherokee forum.I had post regarding fishing too.As far as live bait.I think you might do better with Berkley Powerbait Chatreuse and FI Yellow.I would jump over on the Cherokee forum and read very good info and great tips too.

Also the above poster mentioned using corn that also works well but I think I remember reading you couldnt use corn but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Good Luck fishing.

Edited: 13 April 2010, 22:01
Ocean Springs...
Level Contributor
127 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Places To Buy Live Bait

Thanks everyone for the great links and info. I never thought of using canned corn! But, if it looks like the food they were raised on, it makes since to use it. We will definitely check out the child-friendly fishing holes and I will let you all know how it went in my trip report in May. Thanks again!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
134 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Places To Buy Live Bait

If you are plan on fishing in the park you can only use artificial bait with a single hook. I would bet many people use live but I am sure if you are caught the fine would be very steep. Not trying to be a downer but just didn't want you to be surprised if a ranger were to come by.

Good luck, I didn't catch anything last weekend : ( Probably too much rain.

Ocean Springs...
Level Contributor
127 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Places To Buy Live Bait

Thanks for letting me know! We have tons of artificial bait, but love to fish with live bait, also. I guess that will be one less expense for us this trip.