We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeing Bears

lincolnshire england
Level Contributor
153 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Seeing Bears

My Husband for years has wanted to see a bear in the wild! we have stayed in many places but never caught a sight. we are spending 3 weeks touring from washington Dc in August please could someone tell me where the best place to stay where there is a high chance of us seeing a bear. Many thanks.

Champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeing Bears

We're wanting to see a bear as well (though, not too close!) From what I've heard on here, the best place for a chance to see one are in Cades Cove. Though, I've read that some posters on here have been going to the mountains for years and years and have never seen one, but others have only gone once, and have seen plenty in one trip.

Also, please remember that this is the bears' natural habitat, keep a safe distance and don't try to get too close. There was a bear attack on one of the trails recently because an idiot was taunting a bear, and now the bear will be put down.

Lorain, Ohio
Level Contributor
852 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeing Bears

you might also try roaring fork motor trail, we have seen several bears there too!!!

Ocean Springs...
Level Contributor
127 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeing Bears

I second Cades Cove, we had three bear sightings at midday at several stops along the route this week. Additionally, we saw many deer and turkeys. I will provide pictures when I write my trip report at the end of our trip next week.

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeing Bears

I have seen more on Roaring Fork Trail, I mean the road right before Roaring Fork.

Alabama
Level Contributor
386 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeing Bears

One year we saw a bear in the Park Vista parking lot.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
78 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeing Bears

Oh boy. I am hoping NOT to see a bear in the wild!

In any case, since I'm terrified of them, I take note of where they mostly hang out. And from what I've read/heard, it seems like Cades Cove and Laurel Falls and Roaring Fork

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
81 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeing Bears

Enjoy the bears but PLEASE use your Zoom lens...Give them distance and keep them safe!

lincolnshire england
Level Contributor
153 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeing Bears

We certainly will , we love bears and would not want to get too near and certinly do not want to disturb their normal lives but it would be wonderful if we managed to see one. Thanks for all your help

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
81 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeing Bears

Caught this guy eating berries behind the restaurant....the pictures are from three stories up, but still neat!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gatlinburg-TN/Las-Ositas-Cantina-Grill/116213785059272?v=photos#!/album.php?aid=22314&id=116213785059272

MidEast
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seeing Bears

We were in the Smokies in April this year and had to stop for a bear sighting on the Newfound Gap Road. It was a momma and her cubs. There was about several cars in each direction stopped in the road and people were out of their cars and trying to get up near the bears.

Last year we were up close to a bear on the Roaring Fork Road.

We have yet to see a bear in Cades Cove.