We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance From Washington DC or Charlottesville VA

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
lincolnshire england
Level Contributor
153 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Distance From Washington DC or Charlottesville VA

We are spending nearly 3 weeks touring from DC in August can anyone tell me how many miles it is to Galtinburg and how far to drive. We may stop off for a day or two at Charlotteville how far from there can anyone help.Sorry to keep asking but do I need to book all our accomodation in advance is it generally hard to find at this time of year or will I be able to find accomodation as I go along. Only 2 of us and we are pretty flexible as long as its clean and quite. Thanks for your help

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distance From Washington DC or Charlottesville VA

For questions like these you can use a service like Google Maps. Here's a link where I've put your request in for you: http://bit.ly/9H5YMF

Your route parallels the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Sweetser, Indiana
Level Contributor
141 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Distance From Washington DC or Charlottesville VA

From Washington DC to Gatlinburg is approx. 500 miles. In Front Royal Va. you could get on Skyline Drive and that will take you right onto the Blue Ridge Parkway. They are both slow traveling 35mph on Skyline and 45 mph on the Blue Ridge, but the scenery is beautiful with lots of pull offs to stop for photos. No stop signs either. Depending on how many stops you make along the way, this can be done in 2 days. Mount Airy NC is a great place to stop the first night. Home to Andy Griffith

and the concept of the Andy Griffith Show. Take a trip downtown to Mayberry where they have shops from the show that you can visit.

From there you can get back on the Blue Ridge Parkway and drive to Cherokee, where you get on 441 through the GSMNP to Gatlinburg. Have a great time, the Smokies are a beautiful place to visit.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Distance From Washington DC or Charlottesville VA

380 miles

http://tinyurl.com/blueridgeparkwaygooglemaps

The exact mileage of taking the parkway is much longer because its so windy, but you're dealing with about the same net distance if you get off in Asheville.

georgia
Level Contributor
490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Distance From Washington DC or Charlottesville VA

You definitely need to stop for a day or two in charlottesville. The downtown pedestrian mall is great, go to monticello, and different wineries around town. Recommend staying at Omni hotel next to pedestrian mall, and don't forget to go to Bluegrass grill for Breakfast and especially Spudnuts for their famous potato doughnuts, delicious...

lincolnshire england
Level Contributor
153 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Distance From Washington DC or Charlottesville VA

Thanks for your help we were thinking of the omni hotel and great suggestions for food.Now looking forward to our holiday in August but think I will need to go on a diet prior to eating all your lovely food!!!

6. Re: Distance From Washington DC or Charlottesville VA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2010, 07:19