We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas at Dollywood…A refreshing example of Political...

WV
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas at Dollywood…A refreshing example of Political...

We have been to Dollywood before, but never at Christmas time until this past week.

After seeing the recent attacks on Christmas in the mainstream media and many corporate giants, it was wonderful to see a commercial establishment that is not afraid to correctly advertise the season for what it is....Christmas.

Granted, I know they are out to make money just like everyone else, but it was still good to see.

The lights were very nice and the Christmas shows we saw were excellent.

If you have not been, I highly recommend it. The price is high, but we were at Dollywood this past summer and upgraded our tickets to Season Passes since we knew we were going to be there again in Oct and Nov.

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas at Dollywood…A refreshing example of Political...

Good message lovegb. I'm personally tired of these people trying to 'correct' us on on Christmas. Like I heard one person say: "When stores advertise holiday trees for sale, tell them to direct you to the holiday tree stands - they won't have any. <lol>

So, Merry Christmas all.............

Cleveland Ohio
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas at Dollywood…A refreshing example of Political...

I have to say I agree, we have been to it 3 times and it is just spectacular!

I wish we could go again, but we will be there is Jan this time. Not much open, but thats ok too!

mountains
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas at Dollywood…A refreshing example of Political...

I applaud companies and businesses that will take a stand and be open about their beliefs. In today's world, it is refreshing to see. <><

Jonesborough, TN
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas at Dollywood…A refreshing example of Political...

And to add to your message, lovegb, Dolly also stands firm with saying Merry Christmas in her commercials, not happy holidays. In fact, I just now heard her commercial again. She says something like, "From all of us here at Dollywood, have a very Merry Christmas!" I love it!

So with that in mind, if I don't think to say it later, Merry Christmas, everybody!

virginia
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas at Dollywood…A refreshing example of Political...

We also went to Dollywood. Fantastic lights and decorations. A winter wonderland! Just loved it as well!!

Under your bed
Level Contributor
334 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas at Dollywood…A refreshing example of Political...

I really don't get what the big freakin' deal is over saying "Christmas". Why is the usage of "Christmas" offensive all of a sudden? Our country has bigger things to worry about.

That said, I'm glad you had a good time at Dollywood :)

Pigeon Forge
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas at Dollywood…A refreshing example of Political...

This area is still very conservative and very southern baptist. That's mostly good and a big factor in my decision to move here from South Florida years ago. I think they put you in jail for just saying the word Christmas in Florida.

I went to a local public school Christmas play here, a few years ago about the birth of Jesus. Before the play began a preacher came to the microphone and said, "Before we begin I would like to tell you that the Supreme court says that we can't do this play. So much for the Supreme court. Would y'all please bow your heads in prayer."

It's changing here, but we are still light years ahead (or behind, depending on your perspective) of the rest of the country.

Maryland
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas at Dollywood…A refreshing example of Political...

I think it's wonderful too that Dollywood says "Christmas" I'd love to go at Christmas time, I have never been. I heard someone say that 96% of Americans celebrate Christmas, so all this stink about saying "holiday" for 4% of America is just ridiculous! I say "Merry Christmas!!! :)

Pass Christian, MS
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas at Dollywood…A refreshing example of Political...

I fully agree. I am the mother of a 14 year old young lady and the strong values that are expressed in the Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg area are what draws us back again and again. Merry Christmas everyone and a blessed New Year!

Wisconsin/Illinois...
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas at Dollywood…A refreshing example of Political...

I agree!

Merry Christmas to everyone!