We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need traffic/route help from Knoxville

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
78 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Need traffic/route help from Knoxville

Hi,

I have a question that maybe some TN locals would know.

This weekend, we are heading to Gatlinburg from West Knoxville.

We will be leaving after work on Friday - it will be around 6-7pm.

Should we expect any traffic at this time? If so, how bad would are we talkin'? We have to stop in Pigeon Forge first for keys to the cabin.

I'm looking at one of these options:

I40 to HWY 66/Kodak

I40 to Chapman Hwy (441)

Take (140 to) 411 to 441 (meets up in Seymore), cut through via River Divide to Pigeon Forge...

I am curious about that River Divide road,... anyone have any information on that?

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
78 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need traffic/route help from Knoxville

I just found this helpful link:

gatlinburg-lodging-guide.com/driving-to-the-…

I guess I'm wondering if traffic is a major factor in June on Friday evenings...?

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
81 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need traffic/route help from Knoxville

Personally, I would take the Chapman Highway route. Traffic straight thru Pigeon Forge is AWFUL.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need traffic/route help from Knoxville

Hi kogeliz,

I agree with JessicaC4 about the traffic probably being awful. Here's kind of the way I always go to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. I take I-140 from I-40 to Alcoa Highway (Hwy 129). Drive southwest past the airport and Alcoa to Maryville to Lamar Alexander Parkway (Hwy 321). Drive to Townsend.

Here's where you can take two ways. Stay on Hwy 321 through Wears Valley to Pigeon Forge. If you're keys are toward Sevierville on/near the Parkway, GREAT! If it's towards Gatlinburg, keep reading. :)

When in Townsend, I always keep going straight into the GSMNP. Take a left at the Wye and follow the signs to Gatlinburg. You may run into some traffic at the Sugarlands Visitor Center intersection. If open, take the bypass around Gatlinburg to Pigeon Forge. What I like about this longer route is that you're always going against the traffic flow.

Bob

Kodak, Tennessee
Level Contributor
140 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need traffic/route help from Knoxville

From West Knoxville, I would recommend taking the Chapman Hwy route. Take Chapman hwy connecting with hwy 411 in Seymour and continue to Sevierville. Instead of turning right onto route 66 in Sevierville follow 411 a few more blocks and turn right onto Veterens Blvd (beside the KFC). Where you want to come out in Pigeon Forge is going to determine where you turn off of Veterens. You can come out at Governors landing, the Old Mill, Beside the Blue roof mall or closer to the Gatlinburg end of PF.

Any avoidance of the parkway is recommended on a weekend.

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need traffic/route help from Knoxville

River Divide Road is a twisty two lane road. We stayed out that way last fall. we used Goose Gap Road and New Era most of the time to get to Pigeon Forge and Sevierville. We got used to the routes after awhile, but they are kind of intimidating at first, especially if you get there after dark.

If you are going to Gburg, I would take the route that everyone is telling you through Maryville and Townsend. You can cut across Lynon Springs Road in Wears Valley if you don't want to drive Little River Road from Townsend. That will bring you out at Metcalf Bottoms Picnic Area. I think it's only seven miles to Sugarlands Visitor Center from there.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
78 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need traffic/route help from Knoxville

Great. I'll check these out on a map before leave on Friday.

Thanks for your help, everyone!!

7. Re: Need traffic/route help from Knoxville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2010, 06:21