We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

man who approached bear charged

sevierville TN
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Topic
man who approached bear charged

the man that approached the bear on Laurel Falls and got nipped (bear was killed) has been charged. It's just a petty charge, but it's in federal court. www.themountainpress.com has the article.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: man who approached bear charged

I am so glad they charged this man. I read an article where he said he was going to fight the charges because he still does not think he did anything wrong. As they say "You can't fix stupid".

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: man who approached bear charged

Thanks for the update, Grassmower. Please help us keep track of further developments. I think I'll use your link to email the publisher with thanks for that story and a request for followup in August and beyond if needed.

I emailed the NPS after that incident expressing my concern/displeasure as to why the "Bear bites man" stories always get a lot of publicity, but you never see any "Man gets fined" or "Man goes to jail" stories. I never got a response; they probably got covered up with irate emails during that time period. But a least maybe the NPS is pushing the media a little more to get the other side of the story out and/or the media is becoming a little more responsible in that regard.

It was noteworthy in the article that it wasn't just the guy who got bit that led to this bear's demise; it was also the people who apparently had been feeding the bear for some time, or the people who just carelessly tossed food-related trash aside instead of disposing of it properly, or the people who insist on getting that close-up picture. The other thing that was especially noteworthy was the fact that the charge was in federal court.

It was a tragic situation all around, but hopefully all the posts here will help to create a more educated and more responsible public. Maybe at least all the park visitors who look at the TA forums will now be much better informed about properly interacting with the bears in the park.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: man who approached bear charged

This is probably something that has been stated before, but my hope is that this guy is prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

While I hope he gets what he deserves, he's surely not the only criminal involved. This bear was sentenced to death the first time someone tossed her some food, or left some food wrapper around on the ground. A bear is going to instinctively scrounge for the easiest meal available.

I once witnessed a fella throw an apple core from a moving vehicle. I'm sure his thinking was that it's bio-degradable, so no harm done,...yet this simple action will draw wildlife to the road, where an accident and possible death awaits. Yet another danger to the park animals AND the visitors.

Rangers can't be everywhere. People who witness bad behavior by park visitors must be more vocal. No telling how many folks saw others commit crimes involving this bear and only whispered to their companions without taking action.

Another consideration that's been on my mind would be the differing cabin policies on garbage disposal. No garbage should be placed outside of a cabin within a reasonable radius of the national park. If you can't dispose of your garbage in a responsible manner on a daily basis you probably need to stay in an area that bears will not frequent. They've learned to make the rounds at these cabins that offer an easy meal, and I constantly read in the visitor's diary, (when the cabin has one), stories of "feeding Sam the Raccoon', or "some bears visited and plundered the garbage dumpsters". Cabin and condo owners need to be facing stiff fines and penalties for not providing a responsible alternative to placing trash outside, with complete instructions and warning about the consequences.

While they cannot control the behavior of their renters, they certainly don't have a problem with extravagant contracts protecting themselves in other cases of potential liability, so just get another few paragraphs in there to forewarn against this destructive behavior also.

sevierville TN
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: man who approached bear charged

I mow one particular yard in Gatlinburg that almost always has trash all over the place from bears. The city picks up the trash there on Fridays. The rental company does not pick up the trash. Well, if someone checks out on a Sunday, the trash sits in the can till Friday. That gives the bears all week to get into it. I think that policy is wrong.

Rossville, Ga
Level Contributor
474 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: man who approached bear charged

dawgcentral, I very much like your comments and agree 100%.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: man who approached bear charged

Please don't lump all cabin owners into one category. In an effort to protect the wildlife around my cabin (which is near Dollywood and not close to the Park but we still have bears around) I provide a "bear proof" trash recepticle. it is a very heavy metal mesh box with a locking mechanism on the doors that holds my trash cans. I instruct my guests not to leave any trash laying around - not in the yard - not on the deck - and not outside of the trash recepticle - as it is enticing and dangerous to wildlife. I also provide information written by the National Park Service on what to do if they see a bear in hopes that this will keep both the bears and my guests safer.

Like everyone here I think the man should be penalized for his actions. I detest the fact that this bear paid the ultimate price because the man got too close. I think the key to reducing the problem is educating the public. I see the ads with Smoky the Bear trying to prevent wildfires all the time. Why can't he expand his goals and include protecting the bears (and other wildlife) as well as humans???

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: man who approached bear charged

Thanks for going the extra mile to protect the wildlife Travelerwannabe.

My intention was not to lump all owners together. That's why I stated that there were "differing" policies. If all owners would behave as responsibly, the problems would be greatly reduced.

From my experiences in renting, some take the initiative to be pro-active and some could care less. Since there are rarely garbage disposals in cabins, (septic systems prevent that possibility), renters need to take the initiative and take their garbage to a proper disposal sight on a daily basis. We always ask the cabin company or owner, and a solution is provided. Yet many times you must ask, or you'll simply be expected to let the trash bags accumulate in cans on a porch.

8. Re: man who approached bear charged

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 July 2010, 04:05
Nebraska
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: man who approached bear charged

We almost skipped a trip to the Smoky Mountains because we have heard so much about aggressive bears. I was watching a documentary about a community in Canada that had huge bear trouble resulting in attacks on humans but that they have significantly decreased encounters because of the way they now dispose of their garbage. It took the entire community to do it.

I was very disappointed that the Smoky Mountain areas surrounding the park do not seem to have a community policy to take care of the garbage. We are coming up at the end of July beginning of August to stay in a cabin and we were asked in the information we received from the owner to put the brick on the lid of the garbage can each time we use it...hhmmm! Don't think that will do much to stop a raccoon let alone a bear! We will be packing out our garbage daily instead.

I know I am an outsider, but I surely think that property owners should be held accountable to "bear proof" their garbage or face stiff fines and be named in the local paper as people who are not tourist dollar friendly! I do not think it is "cute" to see a bear on the front lawn or on my porch. It really does nothing to enhance my vacation experience, IMO.

10. Re: man who approached bear charged

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 July 2010, 04:05