We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My kids want to bring their bikes...

Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
My kids want to bring their bikes...

I have two daughters ages 9 and 8. They want to bring their bikes when we visit Gatlinburg in a few weeks. We are staying in a cabin at Gatlinburg Falls Resort at the Park. From what I can see on Google maps, it looks like all of the roads around there are very steep. I am sure they would have a very hard time riding up the hills.

Are there any trails that are fairly level that the girls could ride their bikes on or would it be better to just leave the bikes at home for the trip?

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: My kids want to bring their bikes...

There are times when the Cades Cove Loop Road is closed to traffic and available for hiking and biking only but it is a long way to bike (11 mile loop - could be shortened some by taking one of the cross roads). They also offer bike rentals at the campgrounds so you could bike with your daughters if you don't own a bike.

Another place that would be easier is the paved trail (about 2 miles long) that runs along the river in Pigeon Forge. You can enter it at Patriot Park which is near the Old Mill Restaurant.

Alabama
Level Contributor
145 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My kids want to bring their bikes...

I was researching this too because we are going up in a few days. The Gatlinburg Trail that begins in Gatlinburg and goes back to the maintanence area allows bikes on it. I'm not sure of the distance, but we have walked it many times and it was fine for our 3 year old last year.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My kids want to bring their bikes...

Both the ridings (Cades Cove Loop Road, Gatlinburg Trail) mentioned are great places to ride bikes. Definitely bring them. They won't be able to ride much right out of the resort, but pack them into the park and they could have some real fun. Biking is very limited in the park, but where you can do it it's lovely.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My kids want to bring their bikes...

Hi TW2615,

Another idea to add to the other great suggestions is to drive to Townsend and bike the Townsend Historical Trail. It starts at the Visitors Center. Be sure to pick up a booklet of the historical sites along the trail. It's a great way for everyone to learn some history about the area and the Smokies. The trail is about 9 or 10 miles, but I believe is fairly flat, if my memory is working.

"The Townsend 9 mile loop bicycle path is a scenic and historic route along pathways trod by settlers and Native Americans for thousands of years. Learn their stories in the "Shadows of the Past" booklet, available at the Townsend Visitors Center..."

www.smokymountains.org/do/activities.html

Bob

Edited: 21 July 2010, 06:11
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,079 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My kids want to bring their bikes...

Don't know what style of bikes your daughters have, but if they are not mountain bikes, the Gatlinburg Trail, from the edge of town to the Sugarlands Visitor center, may be too rough.

I would only recommend this trial for mountain bikes.

BTW, the Gatlinburg trail is 2-miles each direction if you go the full length.

6. Re: My kids want to bring their bikes...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2011, 06:30