We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do with a 2 year old.

Clarksville...
1 post
Save Topic
Things to do with a 2 year old.

We are taking a family trip to Gatlinburg in a few weeks and I have been trying to do as much research before our trip as possible. I am looking for family friendly activities that would be good for a 2 - almost 3 year old.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do with a 2 year old.

I would think a splash in a mountain stream would do it.

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do with a 2 year old.

There's alot of amusement companies in Pigeon forge that have kiddie rides and there's some mini golf that also have golf clubs for younger kids There are alot of go cart tracks that have double seat's.The Ripley's Aquarium would be nice there are alot of things to see and do for a young one.Also Ober Gatlinburg does have kiddie rides there too.There are several City Parks to go too and some have a stream running beside them for kids to splash in.Theres also a place called Parrot Mountain in Pigeon Forge that has a ton of Beautiful Birds.My Mother and Father in law were just there today and they loved it.

Have a wonderful and safe trip.

ci.gatlinburg.tn.us/parksrec/cityparks.htm

www.gatlinburg.com/things-to-do/attractions/

www.reservegatlinburg.com/attractions.asp

Ocean Springs...
Level Contributor
127 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do with a 2 year old.

We took our 2 1/2 year old to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge in May of this year. Dollywood was a big hit with her, with all of the kiddie rides and wildlife, but really she enjoyed all of the free things to do in the area the most.

We took her to Cades Cove, and she absolutely had a blast "hiking" to the historic sites and viewing the wildlife. Pack a picnic and set aside a few hours to make the trip. You will not regret it (except maybe the traffic)! The views are absolutely spectacular!

Another stop she enjoyed was Patriot Park, behind the Old Mill restaraunt. We spent an hour or two just sitting beside the river under the shade trees, watching the ducks and geese, and soaking up the setting sun. There is a machine where you can buy food for the birds, but we didn't purchase any and they still came quite close. I recommend going here late evening or early morning, due to the heat.

Our daughter enjoyed walking the strip in Gatlinburg, also. Although, I did not enjoy the parking fee, she was quite entertained by the interesting people and sights of the strip. There are plenty of shops, places to eat, and attractions to check out if you so choose, but really just walking the strip can be interesting enough.

If you get a chance, let your little one wade in the river. You can find out some great wading spots from the guides at any of the visitor's centers.

Lastly, I would have to say the most fun was had at our cabin. Playing games, watching movies together, grilling, and just soaking up the sights and sounds of the Smokies. I would definitely recommend a cabin, if you have not booked already.

Hope this helps. I just know your little one will have fun on this trip. My daughter still talks about our trip almost daily. Take lots of pictures!

Rincon Georgia
Level Contributor
830 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do with a 2 year old.

The Smoky Mountain Deer Farm is really good for younger children. They even have a petting zoo that my children loved. The Ripley's Aquarium is really good and my kids liked mini golf too. Not that they could play very good, just running around and hitting the ball amused them a lot.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,648 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do with a 2 year old.

my brother's family just got back. Set of 2 nad 1/2 year old twins. Aquarium was okay, Titanic a HUGE bore for little ones and loved Dollywood.

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
1,270 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do with a 2 year old.

HI! Here are some of my recommendations:

I would recommend a stop at Patriot Park to feed the ducks along the river. It is FREE (except for the cost of a bag of feed). It is something I think most kids would enjoy.

Also, IF you stop in the Bass Pro Shops in Sevierville, they have a huge waterfall that empties into a large aquarium (with big fish in it). They also have a small stream that has fish in it too. It is FREE to stop and look at the fish in the aquarium here. IF you want to go to an actual Aquarum, Ripley's in Gatlinburg is nice & only takes a few hours. Plus they have a nice discovery zone for the kids & recently added Penguins. It is a good rainy day activity.

The Smoky Mountain Knife Works in Sevierville also has a huge waterfall with indoor streams. They do not have fish in them, but have real stuffed animals and scenes set up. It is neat to look at. Plus downstrairs near the kitchen store and gardening area, they have a section for the kids. They have a large bear and raccoon that sing and play instruments. It is FREE being inside the shop & definately something the younger kids would like to see.

At Ober Gatlinburg, they have a nice Wildllife Encounter. It is basically a small zoo--bears, otters, skunk, raccoon, squirrels, opossum, turtles, fish, etc. It is pretty nice. It won't take all day. So, your little one probably won't get bored or tired real quick here. IF you just want to see Bears, stop in the 3 Bears General Store. Here you can pay a small fee to see & feed the bears. Plus you can build-a-bear here as a keepsake.

IF your little one likes animals, consider stopping in the Sugarlands Visitor Center. They have a nice wildlife museum with real stuffed animals on display. It is FREE. It is one of the things I remember most from my 1st visit to the Smokies as a child. Plus they have a nice short & easy hiking trail out back that leads to Catract Falls. I would recommend this for an easy hike with little ones!

Stop by the Dixie Stampede before or after a show. You can visit with the horses in the stables for FREE. The dinner show here is really nice. IF you want to go to one, this is the one I recommend. IF your little one likes animals, they might like this show too. But, you can visit with the horses for FREE even IF you don't want to go to the show.

Stop by the Ole Smoky Candy Kitchen in downtown Gatlinburg. Here you can see taffy being made on the old machines. It is fun to watch it get made, pulled and wrapped.

Stop in the AppleBarn. Here they have the general store, candy shop, ice cream parlor, winery (for the adults) and the cider bar. As a kid, we loved to stop here and get a small cup of cider. It is wallet friendly--since a small cup is still under a $1. Plus the fried apple pies with ice cream here are delicious. A nice treat for the little ones--and us grown-ups alike!!

The Circle G Ranch has a nice petting zoo on location in addition to the drive thru safari & camel ride safari. We did the camel ride safari & it is was nice. Their petting zoo on location was one of the nicest I have seen.

Well, I hope this helps some. Have a great trip!!

7. Re: Things to do with a 2 year old.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2011, 06:17