We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which would you choose?

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Which would you choose?

First off, if I have asked this question on here, I sincerely apologize but I don't think I did. I tried searching to see if I could find any old posts of mine on it but didn't see any.

Trying to finish my "to do" list for next month's trip and was wondering...if you only were able to go down one of these roads in Cades Cove, which would you choose....Sparks lane or Hyatt Lane?

I am really going to try both but it all depends on time and how crowded the Cove is (although it's never been bad the times I've been there). Which road seems to have better photo ops and which might I see more wildlife or are they about the same for that? I know the roads are gravel but are they fairly smooth or full of potholes? I'm really going to try to go down both since I never have done either but I think I'm planning too much in the short time I'll be down there. Because of my MS, I never seem to get started as early in the morning as I would like to.

Also, I have never been down the road to see the Primitive Baptist Church and planned on doing that this time, too. I've heard that that road is not in the greatest of shape so for those that have very recently visited the church, how's the road?

Thanks for any replies.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which would you choose?

Hi cookie45,

I can't see why you couldn't do both Sparks Ln and Hyatt Ln. Both lanes are two-way. You could first head down Sparks Ln and pull over wherever you want to take pictures. At the end (only 8/10th mile) make a u-turn and head back to where you first turned off the main loop. Do the same at Hyatt Ln, which is only 1.3 miles long. I always get some great shots of the surrounding mountains from these lanes.

Bob

Edited: 14 August 2010, 21:30
Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which would you choose?

Ok....for some reason I thought they were longer than that. If they are that short, I'm sure I'll go on both. I never thought about making a u-turn and going back...I was just thinking I would have to go around part of the loop again to get to the other one (duh) and didn't feel like doing that if it's crowded but like I said, the time of year I go, it's never crowded.

Thanks, Bob! Now...got any suggestions to get the Roaring Fork Motor Trail opened by the time I go? lol I'm really bummed out that it's not going to be open by then....it's one of my favorite places in the park.

Edited: 14 August 2010, 22:21
Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which would you choose?

cookie45 you should be able to do both.Get up early and go so you will be one of the first ones there.I know you are going to have a great time.Take some pictures for me too.I hope you get to see alot of wildlife while at Cades Cove.

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which would you choose?

Would love to be the first one there but as I've said, with my MS, it takes me a longer to get going early than most people. I'll be lucky if I am out there by 9am but that's always been about the time I'm there and it's never been crowded. I just am glad I can take vacations whenever I want. I would hate being down there in the summer with all the crowds, kids and traffic and hot weather.

Hopefully I'll see more wildlife at Cades Cove than last year. Other than the three bears way off in the distance (moving black dots on the horizon), I didn't see any....no deer, no turkey and not even the horses out in the field :(

Edited: 14 August 2010, 23:14
5. Re: Which would you choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2011, 07:16