We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Cataloochee

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alabama
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Road to Cataloochee

Here's a video of part of the road. There's several others on youtube you can search out this looks like #1 of 3. I can't believe this person actually held the camera while driving it but as you can see that road isn't "that bad."

www.youtube.com/watch…

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Road to Cataloochee

That person seems to be going pretty fast thru there.I dont think the roads are bad at all just have to pay attention and drive safe.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road to Cataloochee

Wow! What a great find, VeeBee! Some people, including me, don't think the road's all that bad, while others think it's awful. And trying to describe it in words is pretty subjective. But now this video gives folks a pretty good look so they can decide for themselves.

Looking at the video, I think (and hope!) that it wasn't the driver taking the shots. I'd almost guess it was somebody standing in the bed of a pickup, maybe.

Edited: 29 August 2010, 18:59
Alabama
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road to Cataloochee

Here's part 2 and part 3 by the same person

www.youtube.com/watch…

www.youtube.com/watch…

Hiker - I think you are right, I don't think it's the driver.

Edited: 29 August 2010, 20:36
Virginia
Level Contributor
621 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road to Cataloochee

I was expecting the passenger to be taping, not the driver!! That's crazy. But I can see how someone who wasn't used to traveling gravel roads would find that road intimidating, for me that looks like a pretty wide dirt road compared to some near our house. Plenty of room to pass in most parts which can be one of the worst parts of traveling a dirt road(this coming from a person who actually slid over the side of a dirt road right after I started driving, scary)

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road to Cataloochee

Watching those videos make me want to bring our Rhino's with us and ride them there.I drove on Cataloochee before but its been a while.The road looks better now than what I remember it being like.Glad you found the videos they havent been viewed much at all.

Edited: 29 August 2010, 23:25
vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road to Cataloochee

OK--I'll admit to being a chicken. I do think the blind curves look worse from the driver's window when you know you'll be meeting vehicles headed in for the afternoon elk-viewing. And I don't like the Tail of the Dragon either! The only time I wish I lived in central Nebraska is when I drive on these roads; next time I'll just shut my eyes, as recommended by Smokies! :)

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road to Cataloochee

When I spoke about closing my eyes, I meant as I was driving. :o) !!!

No, no, no, don't anybody take this seriously...

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road to Cataloochee

Nice find! It looks like the driver is holding the camcorder out of his window, to me.

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Road to Cataloochee

If the national park opens the road to the public, you can rest assure it will be drivable with a two wheel drive car. The road to Cataloochee is one of my favorite drives, especially in the fall. I honestly dont get there enough....

Nashville, TN
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Road to Cataloochee

Can someone please tell me how to get to this road? I can't find it on Google Maps, and I want to check it out.