We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jon Dee's Hypnotized Comedy Show

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Jon Dee's Hypnotized Comedy Show

There is a very recent review by "TheN3" regarding this show in which the reviewer indicates that the show is "fake" and that the performers are paid actors. I have never been to this show but have read many wonderful reviews on it in the past. Some of the reviews indicated that members of their own group (who are tourists) participated in the show and were actually "put under" by Jon Dee. So, I am confused as to the "paid actors" suggestion made by TheN3. Perhaps, some of the participants might be paid actors, but how do you explain many reviewers from other states who did actually "go under" or members of their own group participated in the show? Are they fake? I would like to hear from some other people who have attended this show to get your take on this whole matter. Certainly, I don't want to spend my hard-earned money on a fake show.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jon Dee's Hypnotized Comedy Show

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60842-d1657…

It's a highly rated show (with the exception of the latest review). I'd say TheN3 simply didn't like the show. It's bound to happen. I've never seen it, so I can't say, but there are plenty of good reviews.

If you decide to try it, please let us know what you think.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jon Dee's Hypnotized Comedy Show

I don't think it matters if it is fake or not, it is entertainment.

We all know magic shows are fake, but I am still entertained by them

Knoxville, Tennessee
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Jon Dee's Hypnotized Comedy Show

Definitely NOT fake. Have seen it three times now. Very entertaining.

Anyone who says he uses paid actors is lying and/or doesn't know what they're talking about.

Middle, Georgia
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jon Dee's Hypnotized Comedy Show

It would definitely be bad if it were fake, because it wouldn't be nearly as funny, but I would like to share my experience from last Friday so maybe it will make you feel a little better. My husband is the most skeptical person in the world. he's very cynical and critical of anything that could be a scam. I had been to another show like this years ago and was trying to tell him that I had seen people I knew who were hypnotized. He kept telling me it was all scripted and - like this person said - that they paid people to act like that or it was arranged right before the show or whatever. We are so competitive in everything we do, that each one of us always wants to be right, so I had to get him to go so he would believe me! anyway... we got in the show and i have to admit - i was actually starting to think i was going to be proven wrong. the first couple of people in the audience were hand picked by jon to help with certain things, and my husband just sat there rolling his eyes. then when he said that anybody could volunteer, but there was a chance he would send you back to your seat if he didnt feel like it was working properly, my excitement was gone. i thought - ok, another tourist trap, and i fell for it! but my husband went up anyway. he made it through the first "cut" but i still had my doubts because i knew more people were going to get sent back to their seats. i was very discouraged. well, thank goodness, he was one of the ones chosen to stay on stage. i promise you, with 100% honesty... he was COMPLETELY hypnotized. i am a pretty quiet person, but i was absolutely screaming with laughter. he is a very professional, straight-laced man, who doesnt like to call attention to himself in any way. well, when he got up and started yelling at jon in fake chinese, i almost wet my pants!!! then jon gave him the microphone and he started dancing and rapping in what he thought was chinese. i had tears rolling down my cheeks. when it was over, he came and sat back down and he had a really strange look on his face. i asked him what was wrong and he said "i feel like an idiot!" oh, but he had no more doubts about whether or not it was real!!! it was without a doubt the hardest i have ever laughed in my whole life. and as for the people who go more than once, we will probably go again next time we're in gatlinburg, because i was laughing at the other people too, and enjoying watching their families laughing at the crazy things they were doing. he says we have to go back because next time he wants to make sure im the one who gets up there and looks like a fool. :) there were some people sitting behind us who had been to the show before but they came back because somebody else in the group wanted to volunteer. i know some people get sent back to their seats, because maybe they arent really allowing themselves to submit to the hypnosis, or whatever, and i have a feeling i couldnt be hypnotized because you have to block everything else out, and my mind wanders so much im not sure i could do that, so that may be why some people get there and think its fake, but i can assure you it's real, and well worth the money even if nobody in your group is on stage.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
823 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jon Dee's Hypnotized Comedy Show

Michelle, I'm glad you gave such a positive review. I had read where one poster thought it was fake. Six of us went in July. I was very skeptical and could not see how a show like this could be entertaining. Our SIL volunteered, which made the show so much funnier for us. He thought he was a secret spy and talked into his shoe like it was a phone. We laughed equally as hard at the others. The audience is usually a small group of around 50. There's no way Jon Dee could make a living if he had to pay people to act. We thoroughly enjoyed it and will probably go again in the future.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jon Dee's Hypnotized Comedy Show

Sounds like fun! Thanks for the reports!

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,982 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jon Dee's Hypnotized Comedy Show

I was GM of a Hotel in Myrtle Beach which housed the first Comedy Zone. We had a Hypnotist whose interaction with his audience volunteers was hilarious. They, like those mentioned above were tourists from all over and were not acquainted with the Hypnotist. I know, because most were guests in my hotel. He was able to "put them under" and they did as he instructed. He said that as a subject you woudn't do anything which was against your nature or ethics. He tried to get me out there, but I wasn't comfortable in front of my employees. He did work with a friend of mine who had been skeptical. She said that you sort of floated along voluntarily without a deep trance following the power of suggestion, and it worked!

Logan, West Virginia
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Jon Dee's Hypnotized Comedy Show

Me and my husband go to Gatlinburg 8 or more times a year, we love it down there. we actually have been to Jon Dee's Show for a total of 15 times, and that's not exaggerating. This show is absolutely hilarious, and when we visit we go to his show both nights, and have NEVER seen the same people there twice in a roll or even seen the same people volunteer in the following show. We also know that it isn't fake or paid actors, because we have had Jon Dee come to our hometown in WV and do a show for us, and have seen a bunch of our friends, that would not act like that, actually get hypnotized, and it was awesome.

Homewood, Illinois
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jon Dee's Hypnotized Comedy Show

Hello,

I'm glad to see your post. My family traveled to Gatlinburg this past October for fall break. We went to the Jon Dee's show, and I can tell you it is FOR REAL. Jon allows anyone to come up on stage to see if they would be a good canidate for the show. My wife and son (15) were both picked to be in the show. About 30 people went up there in the beginning, and he narrows it down to about 9. His reasoning behind that is that some people may not be acceptable to it, and others too much. I laughed for two hours straight! I'm a control freak :) so I knew I would not be a good canidate. My wife and son were doing things I know they would not normally do. We had to buy the cd afterwards because they didn't have a clue what went on during the show. We went back to our cabin to watch it, and laughed like fools!

I would have to say it's a must see! We thought Jon was great. Very entertaining, and great personality. He took the time after the show to talk with everyone and take pictures.

I have to admit I was kinda confused as to what the show might bring. We found it to be MOST entertaining, and a great evening out. I will say it's probably more enjoyable if someone from your group get's picked to be in the show.

FOR REAL ONE HUNDRED PERCENT!

10. Re: Jon Dee's Hypnotized Comedy Show

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2011, 05:16