We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Important is free wi-fi at your cabin?

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How Important is free wi-fi at your cabin?

Greetings:

This is a tough economy for all and anyone in the travel and tourism business knows the pain likely more than any other industry. I am a cabin owner and know many many other owners and this economy is difficult at best at times.

Guests want the very best deal possible and I for one as an owner and traveler myself appreciate a good deal. Many of the folks I know who are cabin owners are teachers, farmers, trades folks, small business owners and some are making choices as to what to offer, what to cut, what "amenities" are just too expensive given the pressure to lower rates given demand is low and the cabin inventory is high.

So those who travel and prefer to stay in private vacation homes wheather here in the Smokles or at the beach, How important is wifi? Anyone with a DSL or cable modem in their own homes know this adds up to $1,000 or more a year in costs or a mortage payment.

For me, I have a Droid and wifi is becoming less and less of a need. I tend to think with the proliferation of smart phones, ipads and the like, wifi will be obselete in a few short years.

What do you all think?

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
480 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Important is free wi-fi at your cabin?

Bob, this is a good question...thanks for posting it. I have high speed internet in two of my four cabins and it costs $69 a month plus tax (or about $900 a year) to have WIFI. That's a huge expense for us and would definitely make one mortgage payment at our cabin,.

Our one cabin with a gorgeous view but no access to DSL or cable seems to do book well with just dial-up service that I provide to our guests. That costs me $8 a month so it's far more reasonable, but I know if I were a guest I'd much rather have WIFI. I try to put myself in a guest's shoes whenever I make decisions like this, but with bookings down and rates down I don't know how we can afford to offer higher priced amenities. Satellite internet service is pretty much our only option at that cabin and would be far more expensive than dial-up.

I'd love to hear from travelers because I'm really torn on this too. Thanks everyone!

Cadillac, Michigan
Level Contributor
53 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Important is free wi-fi at your cabin?

I was down in G-burg just recently and when I was looking for cabins, it was not something I specifically looked for. If the service was available with the cabin that was a bonus. However, I have a blackberry, and so I can access the internet most of the time. I had a few occasions when signal was an issue in the mountains. My opinion is it might be an area that you could save to help lower cabin rates.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How Important is free wi-fi at your cabin?

When looking to stay at a motel or a cabin if it don't have high speed internet no way would i be interested in staying there...I have a Droid but no signal in some areas..It would be a must have for me

JMR

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
339 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How Important is free wi-fi at your cabin?

As a vacationer, I do not specifically look for Wifi. If it is a choice between two similar cabins priced the same with same amenities, I would choose the Wifi, but it really does not matter either way to me.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Important is free wi-fi at your cabin?

If I had to choose between a cabin with wifi and one without, I'd go with the one with even it were a few dollars more. When we vacation it's very important that we have some sort of internet access due to my husband's job. He's never *TRULY* on vacation. When my sister stays at our home and dog sits we take her verizon broadband card with use since she can use our wifi.

I guess I'm just connected, before I go to bed I like to get online and read the news since on vacation we are normally out and about all day long. I do have a smart phone but without good 3G service it's more aggravating than helpful.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,523 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Important is free wi-fi at your cabin?

I like having it, but I don't have a smartphone yet. I think the demand will go down as smart phone become more commonplace. I have to have some sort of internet connection simply to look up directiosn or phone numbers to places of interest. Going without it kills me (sad, I know).

Edited: 31 August 2010, 17:25
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
480 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Important is free wi-fi at your cabin?

VeeBee I'm the same way...if we go anywhere, I'm never on vacation due to answering rental requests. Kinda sad but it's the truth. Wherever I travel we really need internet service for my laptop. My blackberry is awful to surf the internet with...the browser experience leaves lots to be desired. Then there's the issue of coverage. Mountains can really mess up cell reception.

Amy

ontario
Level Contributor
142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Important is free wi-fi at your cabin?

Wifi is one of the things that I look for in a vacation rental. We are business owners and when we travel we need to be able to keep in touch. I am always willing to pay a little extra to make sure that internet is available as I do know that it is an added cost. We also like to have it to look up things to do in the area and directions and what the weather might be for the time we are there.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Important is free wi-fi at your cabin?

Wi-fi is not very important at all to us, when we travel to the Gat/burg area. Granted we DO bring along our lap-top computer. The only reason we bring it is not to get on the internet, but only to download the pictures we've taken that day with our digital camera.

Ray

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How Important is free wi-fi at your cabin?

Wi-fi is not a must for us, although i do have a smart phone and use it occasionally to find directions or look up a good restaurant. I don't use it to much to keep in touch since i am on vacation. We also take alot of long weekend trips so it's not necessary to stay in touch as much as if we were there for an extended amount of time.